1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

It's starting to kinda been getting that way here too for years. I hand carried my plating work to some guys in Turkey and had them ship it back to me. Lotta sleepless nights on that one.:eek:
    The work was pretty good and very cheap. Shipping cost more than the work.:rolleyes: My Jag bumpers easily fit in a suitcase. Unlike the acres of metal David has on his boat.:p

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Ugg busy day. Had some nice weather today and continued stripping and blasting.
    Off to the showers now to rinse the coal slag out of my crack. Sand blasting is nasty crap, next time I'll just pay someone else to do it...
    20201120_145203.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  3. DavidF

Looking for another passenger door. This one is more work than I feel like getting into.
    20201120_163828.jpg

4. DavidF

Getting there....couple more weekends of body work/ sheet metal replacement and it will be time to set the engine and trans in, then pull the body off the frame.
    20201121_141923.jpg

5. DavidF

Managed a few hours in the shop today. Working on the passenger side some. Although its nothing fabulous, it is progress.....
    20201218_115135.jpg 20201218_130715.jpg 20201218_151615.jpg

Clay, oldironfarmer and Tobho Mott like this.
  6. DavidF

FB_IMG_1608154131788.jpg Little eye candy for motivation. Found this one on the web and downloaded it.
    Gives me that climbing the rope in gym class feeling :p:eek::rolleyes:

TRYPHON974 likes this.
  7. rocco

rocco Silver

It's just one hand above the other until you ring that bell. And unlike climbing a rope, stopping for a bit to catch your breath isn't a fatal mistake.

Tobho Mott and dtsh like this.
  8. DavidF

Few more hours in today. Made the c pillar for the passenger side and welded it up.
    Should have waited to weld it in, I was tired and made some boogers thats going to take me a bit to grind down :rolleyes:
    Clamp happy??
    20201219_140348.jpg 20201219_161141.jpg 20201219_164227.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Like the ride height and stance on that one.

Best,
    Kelly

DavidF likes this.
  10. There is no such thing as "Too many clamps"... I have to make some patterns for a deep throat G clamp in aluminium soon.

11. DavidF

My $100.00 stainless steel snail hangers showed up today.... not bad at all. :cool:
    20210106_113848.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  12. rocco

rocco Silver

Very nice, at least in terms of value for money and aesthetics.

13. DavidF

Yea, there is a few things that could be better.
    Honestly though if I had built them myself they would have cost me four times as much in materials and atleast a weeks worth of time.
    So I'm not complaining one bit :)

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Shiney :) That looks pretty good for $100

15. Al2O3

It's another one of those areas where pragmatism is better then rigid theory when it comes to street cars. You can rarely package the ideal primary length and in the rare instances where you can, you usually introduce a lot more heat to the engine compartment. If it was a track car where you're trying to shave fractions of seconds.....maybe, but for street car those design extremes can be silly. Interestingly, cross plane V8s can be more sensitive to collector design and length.

As a guy that ran a fabricated tube and pipe business, $100 price expectation for those would have been a very short conversation......no bid. Don't know what level of engine compartment finish you are shooting for but you still might consider ceramic coating them. IMO, the claims of reduced heat transfer for those coatings are greatly exaggerated but they cosmetically stand up very well, as long as they don't get wrench dings. The stainless will already reduce the mount of heat transfer but will turn gold/tan on the primaries.

Best,
    Kelly

16. rocco

rocco Silver

Yeah, there's definitely no way you could have gotten better value for dollar by building your own. I've spent a lot time messing around with racing engines, I know what to look for in performance headers and I sort of cringe when I see most headers and those headers are no exception. That said however, I know that fitting a true performance header into a passenger car is a very difficult ask, compromises are almost always required, your headers were clearly prioritized for easy fitment and a clean look and by that criteria, they've achieved their goal. If I were looking for headers for your car, I would probably have made the same decision you did.

17. DavidF

Well, I finished off all around the rear glass and moved onto the right front section of roof
    Made a Template before I cut it out. I dont think this is going to be as bad as I thought :)
    But ill be glad once I get past this point. Once I do things should start progressing more quickly.
    We will see how it goes tomorrow...
    20210108_140001.jpg 20210108_140814.jpg

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I wish I could apprentice with you and learn your sheet metal skills. I have no idea how you're able to get such professional results.

19. DavidF

Thanks Zapins, I've got plenty of beer in the fridge if you ever want to swing by and drive yourself crazy fighting rust, but I think ESC would be a better one to learn from.
    Or if beer isn't your thing, I still have a jar of granny's cure for covid (or whatever else ails ya)
    Also works well for starting campfires and degreasing car parts.:confused:

20. Al2O3

Sheet metal repair is like icebergs.....always so much more below the surface. But once you start, you cant stop only fixing some of it. Soldier on.

Best,
    Kelly