1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Why are all the good things in life bad for you?

I need to figure out enameling. That stuff can take beating.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Put your respirator on and spray the damn paint. Do it outside, then wheel your stuff back in.. If we did some of this stuff daily, I'd have more reason to be freaked out. Fact is we don't.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

My mistake for expressing an opinion in post 119 without a credible substantiating citation. It is always good to for a person to back up opinion with facts.

The thing is isocyanates produced by two-part polyurethane products are different than the usual volatiles we are so used to encountering in our day-to-day work or shop experiences. So far as I know, all of the petroleum distillates, ethers, esters, and alcohols all have the same canned warning to avoid “prolonged and repeated” exposures. Makes sense as it generally takes pretty heavy and/or repeated exposure for those chemicals to cause toxicity.

However, isocyanates on a single exposure that does not have to be that great can cause serious and, in some cases, long-lasting lung, skin, and other side effects. Besides the obvious inadequate mask and poor ventilation, evidently, one of the more common ways for such exposure to happen is for a spill to occur causing inadequately protected people to rush to clean up the spill. (Who wants a teal-blue spot 6 feet in diameter in the middle of their driveway, for example?)

The purpose of my post was to point out that two-part polyurethanes need to be handled more carefully than most of the paints and solvents we commonly use. Following is a summary caution statement parts of which I bolded. And the source of the statement is provided.

https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/system/files/documents/1702/guide-to-handling-isocyanates.pdf

“SENSITISATION
    Many isocyanates are potential respiratory sensitisers and some are skin sensitisers resulting in allergic dermatitis. This may not be limited to the point of contact, so the surrounding skin is also affected. It is thought respiratory problems can result from skin exposure.
    People who develop sensitisation to isocyanates usually do so some time following their first exposure. This time period is highly variable. It can be several weeks or up to two years or more. In around 20 percent of cases it can be 10 years or more.
    Once sensitised, a person’s subsequent exposure to airborne concentrations well below the exposure standard can cause asthmatic reactions like chest tightness, wheezing, shortness of breath and airway narrowing. This can be life threatening if exposure continues.
    Exposing sensitised workers to isocyanates may reduce their respiratory capacity immediately on exposure, some hours later or both. The high likelihood of chronic work-related asthma means preventing sensitisation is a high priority.
    Exposure to higher concentrations from spills may increase the risk of sensitisation, and even a single high exposure event may lead to sensitisation.

Lower level chronic exposures may lead to sensitisation or a decline in lung function.
    If a worker is diagnosed as sensitised they should be removed from potential exposure.
    There is currently no screening test to identify individuals susceptible to respiratory sensitisation”

I am not saying not to use two-part polyurethanes. They are great paints. Just use them with a lot more respect than common solvent-based paints. And once they are cured, they pose no known risk.

Denis

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

We use two pack a lot, but that is in a booth with air feed hoods.

I got pretty sick using two part resins (clear casting/potting resins) of a similar base but I was mixing a lot in a closed up space.

You can't even buy cellulose here now unless you are a legit business, everything is water or acrylic.

5. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

That is looking really nice David. PM sent.

DavidF likes this.
  6. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

You are making incredible progress on this project.
    Mark

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Progress!.....always a shot in the arm when the body work is done and you get it al one color.....even primer, becoming more as one with your mind's eye.

Best,
    Kelly

8. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

On hold for a couple weeks. Finishing the upstairs of the farmhouse now. Have the whole upstairs gutted. Putting in the insulation now.

Clay likes this.
  9. Al2O3

Sometimes is good to have multiple projects on the go........recharges your brain and keeps'em fresh!

Best,
    K

10. DavidF

More like kills the body and makes you stupid tired... but the house will be all done by the middle of next month.
    Then it should be good for the next 25 years.
    So I can kick the bucket and not have to worry about it. Lol

11. dennis

dennis Silver

Sounds like late-80s Imron used at Sunkist. Exeedingly toxic stuff.

Seriously durable, though. Needed paint + hardener. I think it was polyurethane...

12. DavidF

Been blocking out the roof over the weekend.
    Rear quarter panels are up next....
    20210516_125022.jpg

13. DavidF

Time to start filling in the holes I cut out. Spent most of this morning just doing a quick clean up, replacing the gas regulator on the tig, and trying to remember what the hell it was I was looking for before I was distracted by something else.
    20210517_125440.jpg

14. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Looking good!

Zapins and DavidF like this.
  15. DavidF

Whoops!! :rolleyes:
    20210612_130329.jpg

16. Al2O3

Is that an Opel GT? Cant see very well from my phone.

K

17. DavidF

Sure is. 600.00 couldn't say no...
    SmartSelect_20210530-173254_Facebook.jpg

18. Jason

Jason Gold

There's something you don't see everyday. I passed a place on the way to Austin the other day. This guy had at least 5 of them in his yard. It was near a town called Fredonia and if you look hard enough, it's on the sat photo on g-maps. Closest I got to screwing with plastic cars was a buddy of mine had a TVR with mustang 5.0 back in the early 1990's. We ripped out the stock 6cylinder for that 5liter. Now THAT car would go like a raped ape! It weighed NOTHING!

19. DavidF

They're steel. Well maybe... it depends, either steel or iron oxide just depends on where they've been sitting...
    20210612_185545.jpg

20. DavidF

Not going the v8 route. Turns out they do alot with the original (block) lol. That's about all they used on this build...

Jason likes this.