1956 buick build

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by DavidF, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry, but you're wrong. This one was fiberglass with a backbone looking chassis under it. It was a Taimar, 1970's car and very rare. He brought it down from Canada when he moved to florida. It was extremely hot and uncomfortable as hell to drive, but what a riot! His daily beater was a red TR4. I'd still like to find a TR4 and install that 300hp eco boost. Just need about 10years for them to start showing up in the junkyard. If you don't have the wiring loom and computers, forget even trying this one.

The opel's were pretty cool, just too bad they aren't worth putting any real money in. You'd never get it back. A lotus elan would be a better option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_M_series

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Anyone seen an Opel Manta recently?
    Back in the early 80's a roommate of mine had a 75 Manta, haven't seen one since.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I had one stationed at Spangdahlem in 1996. Paid 50bucks for it and sold it for 300. I bought and sold the tuv failures to airmen on base. Good solid car. I was just thinking about that thing the other day. I cant remember what year it was... 78maybe? I seem to recall mine had a straight 6 and a 4speed. Lots of grunt, no power steering. Required lots of chest hair to own that thing.:D

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I was talking about the opel's.. they are steel.

5. DavidF

You can find them now. I had considered this engine for a swap in to the opel.

6. rocco

rocco Silver

Just curious, back in the day, who were the dealers for new Opels? My roommate was from Edmonton and when he needed parts for his car, the nearest dealer was in Montana.

7. DavidF

They were sold at buick dealers. Now the go to place for parts is here https://www.opelgtsource.com/

Only part you can't get is a windshield....

8. Jason

Jason Gold

I swear I didn't know that! I always thought they were fiberglass! Hence my first comment. With only 100k or so made, strange how it's value has always been in the toilet.
    Maybe they should have made it in fiberglass? How is the fit and finish on your car? Does it feel "german" and put together well?

Damn shame they have the interior of a chevette... Reminds me of a my manta, MILES of plastic and ACRES of vinyl! (1970's:()
    In this wiki photo, you really get the sense of the "poor mans corvette" I'll never understand how manufacturers seem destined to destroy their own products
    through manipulative design and pricing. It was a neat looking car, but I never got a chance to drive one. If I could have a large car collection, it would be one I'd want in there.
    I'd have an opel long before a vette! Never liked vettes and very few vette owners.

1280px-1969_Opel_GT_A-L_1900_Interior.jpg

Bldr J likes this.
  9. DavidF

I was looking for a chevette when I found the opel. Fit and finish?? It's 49 years old so I would give it a fair.
    Honestly I think of it more as a go cart. Just wanted something cheap to run back and forth to work in to keep the miles off my truck.
    There is some who are seriously into these cars and race them. But no, they never really took off in the market...maybe one day they will?

10. DavidF

Whoops #2&3.... needed the parts.... lol
    20210618_204024.jpg

Billy Elmore likes this.
  11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Your
    Space: self evident.
    Money: none of my business.
    Time: absolute mystery

Tobho Mott likes this.
  12. DavidF

This is next years project..... they were cheap.

13. DavidF

14. Jason

Jason Gold

They are like stray cats! MG's had a way of accumulating like that back in the 1990's when they were "free to good home"

15. DavidF

So after spending 3.5 hours sitting in front of the computer cad modeling an emblem, only to find that I screwed the pooch by .1" in every fashion due to writing down .290 when the actual measurement was .190 at my point of origin. I headed out to the garage for a few to do some brainless sanding. :rolleyes:
    Well atleast this went well. Straighter than the factory had it :D
    20210704_101015.jpg

So I moved my attention to the patch panel at the bottom of the quarter next. Pretty straight forward but I wanted to play with a new toy I picked up. An English wheel. Found it on Amazon for $150.00, it's a bit small but works for what I need. Bit of a learning curve and takes a bit to get used to rolling the metal in a straight line without catching your fingers in the rollers :mad: but I managed to curve the panel with only minimal pain.
    20210704_110716.jpg 20210704_122554.jpg

With a bit of luck I'll have it welded in and finished up this week. :p
    Well, back to the emblem... I'll post it later this week...

Tobho Mott, Clay and Melterskelter like this.
  16. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Dave, I can't tell if that is a compound curve or not. If you only want to curve in one direction use an inner tube on the upper wheel and it will shape in just one direction.
    Looking good.

DavidF likes this.
  17. DavidF

It's kinda an odd curve. Sharper on one end than the other, but not a compound curve.
    I'll try the innertube trick, I can see that working well in my head. Thanks :)

18. DavidF

Finally decided on a color.. mixed up some house of kolor candy brandywine and sprayed it on one of the spare opel hoods.
    Photo dump warning!!
    Here's a picture of one two toned in candyapple red.. Basically the same but mine will be a little bit darker...
    SmartSelect_20210408-082730_Facebook.jpg 20210710_131743.jpg 20210710_150056.jpg 20210718_094503.jpg 20210718_120255.jpg 20210725_151201.jpg

Tops, Petee716, Clay and 4 others like this.
  19. DavidF

Finally managed to get back to this project, atleast for a couple days. Still lots of overtime at the job thing. I was hoping it would lighten up this month but the new guy I've been training got himself canned, so back to 3pm till 3 am every friggin day :mad:..
    Oh well took my frustration out on some rust today. When I bought this car I had no intention on replacing inner and outer rockers as they seemed ok. But once you hit them with a sandblaster you tend to find the thin spots...
    So I spent today cutting out the rockers, and fabricating new inner and outer rockers. Got quite a bit finished, maybe with a little luck I can get it all welded back up tomorrow o_O
    20210730_130810.jpg 20220405_153138.jpg 20220406_165953.jpg

Melterskelter likes this.
  20. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Just gorgeous! I wish I was a little less fidgety and had the patience to sand and paint something at that level. Can I send you some stuff in a self-addressed stamped return envelope/box?