'49 Caddy Tail Light & Signal Buckets

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Feb 18, 2019.

1. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

2. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Glycol is funny stuff. A buddy piped a glycol system with 2” steel pipe and cast iron fittings. Had leaks everywhere, right thru the castings! I build membrane filtration systems. Did a deicing glycol job. RO rejects 99% of dissolved salt but just 93% of glycol, so we had to do it twice.

3. Very interesting.

Kelly suggested we cast cylinders and see if they leak. I plan to cast a filter...

4. Jason

Jason Gold

little late.. been busy, NOT casting metal..:rolleyes:
    Andy, that's the beauty of suspendaslurry. I just had my first major slurry fail due to age. The days of mixing slurry 24/7 is gone unless you are running large scale production. I've had success with slurry that's over 2years old. Not too shabby really. A pail of the stuff is 200bucks delivered and the silicas are available cheap in Dallas. Then again, others like to obtain their foundry supplies at homedepot!:p:p:p:p:p

5. Jack Meckes

Jack Meckes Copper

I just finished polishing and assembling the side view mirrors. They look good! Thanks for the help, Kelly.

1632.jpg 1633.jpg 1634.jpg

Al2O3, Jason, dtsh and 3 others like this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice mirror design. Good update to the popular bullet.

Still don't like them on an E-type.
    XKE Mirrors 05.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks good Jack. I've been following along over at your build thread on the metal shaping forum.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Al2O3

Jack is finishing up the tail light buckets. Thought I'd post the progress for posterity's sake. The link to his build thread is back in post #1 of this thread for those interested.

54 LEDs Installed 2.jpg 55 Lense Installed.jpg 56 Bucket Installed.jpg 57 Bucket Installed 2.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

Jason, joe yard and Tobho Mott like this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Well, let's see it light up! That's a great line from the top of the light to the bottom corner of the bumper. Very slick.

10. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

11. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Those turned out a beauty!

12. Al2O3

Jack polished the frames, made the lenses, and mounted turn signal housings.

58 Signal Installed.jpg 59 Signal Installed 2.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.