A box of wax foxes

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by Jason, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

I have one of these.... I put it on a HF stand and stuck some wheels on it. This way, I can wheel it outside and let the dust fly. The HF boxes leak really bad so you have to reseal all the seams before you use it. I use their glass beads too. I like the finish it leaves after the beads get a little wear on them. I don't use a vacuum on my cabinet so it's kinda tough to see what I'm doing. This is the one I have. https://www.harborfreight.com/abrasive-blast-cabinet-42202.html I see the price has gone way up on it. I paid like 70bucks for mine. At the end of the day, it's a POS, but it's cheap and does the job. You can drop some serious money on a blast box. I will tell ya, I threw the HF gun in the trash. If I didnt have this setup, I would buy https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...MIkvKz7q3J2gIVTdbACh1uKAZkEAQYASABEgL4T_D_BwE and build a box outta plywood. I know that sounds odd, but I built a 4ftx4ftx2ft box out of particle board. I could fit wheels in that monster. Last time I moved, I tossed it in the trash. Cheap and Cheerful!
    20180420_122237.jpg

2. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

you can cut down the dust on those cheap SB cabinets by slapping a shopvac on the exhaust. Just remember to put a filter back your vac before you try this.....or you get an even bigger mess that the cabinet allow can produce!! (don't ask me how I know!:rolleyes:)
    CBB

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

I think I would if I had an old POS shop vac. I've got a fairly new big ass craftsman I don't want to stick on it. They make some cyclone separator that is suppose to work good. Then I saw the price and said, PASS.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Whats so special about a blasting cabinet? Isn't it cheaper to buy a sheet of 20 gauge and just weld one up?

5. Jason

Jason Gold

exactly.. remember there is a funnel under the box, the door, the gloves, arm holes etc.. what's your time worth is the question. lol

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I've seen boxes on craigslist with asking prices in the 3-400 buck range which really makes me scratch my head. They are all beaten to hell and don't look like anything special I couldn't make for half that. I might go that route then. I would like to have a nice cabinet so I don't constantly make a mess outside. Also, the sand flicks up into my hair, is impossible to wash out and is unpleasant to sleep on (bad memories of the beach!).

7. Jason

Jason Gold

The 100buck HF cabinet isn't that bad. ya just gotta make a couple mods to it to make it decent. YouTube is littered with guys reworking these cheap boxes. Thing like dust collection, light, door seals and replacement window ideas. check it out.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I see them pop up on craigslist every so often. I'll try snipe one from there next time I see one for 50 bucks then do some mods like you say. Of course I need a bigger compressor. And a bigger shop to fit all the new tools in.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks to the sorry ass US post office, the fox has missed its show today. So much for Sunday delivery. People can get their toilet paper on Sunday, but insure a little 4lb box for $500 bucks and it's probably been thiefed along the way. I should have paid the 120bucks for fedex.:mad:

10. crazybillybob

I found that a roll of duct tape fixes 98% of the issues with the HF cabinet..... Just throw a layer over the seams.... boom no dust. Oh and a real light in there ! That crappy light flashlight bulb is for the birds!

CBB

(Yes I'm that cheap and lazy the I don't want to put out for new weather stripping to go around the door)

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

I used a tube of 3buck silicone on mine. I didn't mess with the door either.:D

Got any cheap ideas for the window? I need to replace the glass again on mine. I'm thinking some real light static cling window tinting. Don't laugh. I used some of that stuff on some rear plastic windows in an airplane. Visual acuity wasn't 100%, but it cut down the heat big time. Adhesive tints are a big no no on plastic airplane windows, unless you want to shell out thousands on replacing them when the tint turns purple. :eek:

12. crazybillybob

Tempered glass doesn't etch like plastics. If you can find an old oven....It's a cheap source for a window. But a local glass shop should be able to cut a custom window for $10-20 or so. Just take them your nasty scored plastic one for them to copy. This will last for years (of daily use!) or a lifetime for us.

But a cheap tearoff solution is acetate overhead sheets and duct tape :) might have a line of tape down the middle to seal the seam (clear packing works ok).

CBB

13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Window screen in front of the glass will extend life considerably. It deflects/absorbs a lot of the abrasive impingement and only minimally obstructs your view.

Best,
    Kelly

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Window screen? No kidding! Thanks I'll get some new glass cut for it and give that a try. Place it tight up against the glass or spaced off it?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

TaDa!!!!!

16. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Oh Boy! No deflating his ego now....LOL
    Nice work Jason, and the forum even got a plug in :cool:

Jason likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

lol, YOU guys created THIS monster. I just monkey see monkey do.:p

18. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Haha, nice! The finished fox looks great.

And David, you shouldn't be surprised - Jason has been trying to help you get a plug in for months... :eek:

Jeff

19. Jason

Jason Gold

I see David has FINALLY subbed to my channel.:D

Plug in.. haha.. I see it now.

20. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thought I was subbed prior to subbing :rolleyes:
    Haven't missed any of your videos, subbed or not...:cool: