Accoset sodium silicate binder and catalyst

Discussion in 'Links to useful information' started by DavidF, Oct 28, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Pdf for the accoset binder system
    Available from lancaster foundry supply

Attached Files:

2. ASK Chemicals also make the Pep-Set phenolic urethane no bake resin, I don't think it's exactly the same as Pep-Set from Aslin-Croder in the 1990's which was pretty good stuff: down to a 2 minute cure time and could even reproduce fingerprints in fine silica sand. Unless there's a foundry nearby that uses it, the short shelf life of less than 6 months is a disadvantage.

https://www.foundry-planet.com/d/pe...ystem/?cHash=801e55a3c6af4ab6531180581d6f42ea

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Does Lancaster stock the catalysts? Using a fast catalyst like those outlined in the catalyst PDF would be a very handy upgrade for my mold making. Any pricing info? I can call them, of course, but if you already have that info, I’d save them and me the trouble.

Nice find, DavidF, on the catalysts which seem otherwise nearly impossible to purchase in the small quantities most of us would be interested in.

Denis

4. DavidF

I purchased the slower catalyst from them. I'd have to check and see if they have some of the faster stuff.
    5 gallons of binder was $203.00 and the catalyst was $300. For 5 or $100. For 1 gallon.
    The 5 gallons of binder will probably last me 20 years....
    When I started this forum I had plans on having a store (link on home screen) to distribute smaller quantities catering to the home foundry guys. I still need to work out the logistics of shipping chemicals though...

5. Melterskelter

The slow stuff, propylene carbonate, I have and is easy to get. It is the faster stuff that I (and I think others) looked hard to find a source with no luck. So, if they have the faster catalysts, that would be very welcome news, indeed.

BTW, you’re not planning on horning in on my sea coal distributorship? ;-). I’ll sell you Northern Hemisphere rights for less than 5K. But, please don’t look at my books—-I’ve yet to make a sale:rolleyes: Truthfully, if you could set up a “store” for hard to get or small quantity foundry supplies, that would be a big plus for home foundry folks. I’d donate my distributorship rights!

Denis

6. DavidF

Which speed would you want??

7. Melterskelter

I think 20 min working time would be good

8. Melterskelter

Any progress on this front?

Deni

9. Melterskelter

Incidentally, I did use the ChemBond 210 from Clay Planet as the sole setting agent (no CO2) to make cores yesterday. Previously I had added the catalyst to the silicate as I mixed in the Chem Bond with my sand and then kicked it off with CO2. This time I just mixed it in with my usual RU silicate+sugar+water binder and let the core setup. I wanted to hurry the process a bit, so, I cooked the core in the oven at 130 or 140 for couple hours. The result was a nice firm core.

BDD4BFDD-55AB-452F-8F3F-81B59E0CE1A3.jpeg 8207EA2F-19A4-48A1-ABF2-0CC2AB06BC75.jpeg

Denis

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Mark's castings likes this.
  10. DavidF

I'll touch base with them Monday.
    Which one of the catalyst were you interested in?

11. Melterskelter

A somewhat fast-acting one would be nice. Maybe 15 to 20 min or so strip time for my purposes. Simple propylene carbonate has a supposed 2-3 hour strip time I believe.

Denis

12. DavidF

Look at the catalyst list and pick one...

13. Melterskelter

OK, it looks like ACCOSET IV-A Is in the ball park.

Denis

14. DavidF

Ok... ill check on it Monday

15. Melterskelter

I do appreciate your checking.

Denis

DavidF likes this.