Alloy Avenue?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by rocco, May 9, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What do you mean by this Rocketman? Could you elaborate please!

Best,
    Kelly

2. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This happened before, as you say the forum software lagged. Anon was handling updates with Lionel but he is long gone.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Good luck! Is the site content backed up anywhere? I've had search engines pop threads from AA that certainly did not show the actual website when I clicked them. If that's the case, the info is safe even if Lionel and Anon is 6feet under. I'll try to run some searches this weekend and see if I can show what I'm talking about.

6. Mach

Mach Silver

Backup? I might still have a copy from 2017 when photobucket was pooching everyone.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

You might have a backup of the ENTIRE site from 2017? :eek: If that's true, that's good enough in case it's current status is fatal. Dont lose it!;)

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

9. Mach

Mach Silver

I need to check backups. I scraped it at the time to get the photos back but then photobucket relented on their BS so I didn't worry about it.

Edit: looks like I only grabbed the image files (png, jpg and mp4s) and the thread references - not the entire threads. bummer

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. Rasper

Rasper Silver

I am the administrator of Alloy Avenue and have the same privileges as Anon had, which are not enough to upgrade the forum software. I have not received any answers from Lionel. His web page is still up, but the links to order his books and his furnace kits have been taken down by him. Apparently he is no longer in the business. I have no way to reach him other than an e-mail address. He has always been secretive and elusive. In the past, when the forum went down, he sometimes took a long time to answer me. We shall see.

Richard

11. Jason

Jason Gold

There you are! Good to see ya Richard. Yeah I remember, no lionel, no AA.. Have we got a last name for him? I'm sure one of us here can pull some secret squirrel stuff and dig him up. Maybe he doesnt even know the site is fubar'do_O???

12. Rasper

Rasper Silver

Lionel Oliver. He lives somewhere in New York State.

13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That must be very frustrating Richard. I hope he does restore access to AA, and better yet, turn it over to an attentive custodian.

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm not even sure that WAS him. That guy was only 41years old and I'm pretty sure lionel is older than I am. Someone give me a nudge. About how old is he or what town did he live in??

15. OMM

OMM Silver

16. Jason

Jason Gold

been there, done that:( on 7/23/2017 Nothing.

Lionel, some stuff is happening with your forum and we the members want to help you out.

Please come back or call me 919-867-5309 <<<< try calling it.. seriously, dial the damn #

We are just trying to raise the storage limit for members to an acceptable level since the photobucket debacle. Longtime members are already departing and many of us won't put the work into complicated threads without photos due to lack of permanence of storage for our work. In addition, we want to assist in the financial side of running a forum.
    Thank you sir!
    Jason

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  17. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Jason, necromancy isn't your forte.
    Lio abandoned that forum years ago. It became very apparent just before this forum was created. That's another reason why this forum was created. And to think some people complained about it. Now look where they are..

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

If I remember my history correctly, Lio didn't want to keep the forum on his site so the 'new' AA domain was set up to distance it from him. I can't see it coming back, especially as the footfall is down to next to nothing.

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Are you suggesting Lio is dead??? (And yes I did have to google that!)

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Nahh.. Dave is talking about digging up the dead forum. It's been on life support for the last couple of years. Shame to lose all OUR hard work. Lots of great build and how to threads. Pisses me off really. And that one I didnt have to look up.:p