An improved striking-off / screeding tool

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I recently ground the edge on the piece of angle iron that I’ve been using for quite some time as a striking off or screening screeding tool. I find that having the edge ground off to about a 45° angle and nearly sharp makes the tool cut much more nicely through the sand as you are striking off the top of a sand mold. The bevel should slope toward the surface that you’re screeding off. This is a simple change but makes quite a bit of difference. Various times I have used a piece of wood with a somewhat rounded edge or a piece of angle iron with the factory rounded edge. And and all these tools worked OK but the angle with the ground off sharpened edge it works much better. For those who haven’t tried it, I suggest they give it a whirl.
    This tool works best if it is held at about a 45° angle to the direction of advance and is sawn back and forth as it is advanced. Doing so will cut the sand off very nice and very level and very clean.

I am enjoying a wonderful afternoon out at the foundry it’s about 70° and I’ve got 50 pounds of iron in the pot and will be pouring it in not very long.

50CE9E7C-4314-429E-B789-8E563648F2B5.jpeg 26779A5D-2FD4-441D-971D-4E5EFBD53234.jpeg

Denis

Added freebie: A view from on high 724A19DD-7E20-4EB7-83E4-A889B140B4CF.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

the correct foundry terms are Strickle or Strike, I like Strike, Sounds violent:D,

V/r HT1

3. Melterskelter

4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

5. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Looks more like a rocket launch site than a foundry!

6. Melterskelter

So far I’ve not launched anything into low-earth
    orbit. And I am hoping/trying to maintain that record!

Denis

Petee716 likes this.
  7. dennis

dennis Silver

I've heard these things being called "stricklin' irons."

Old Foundryman spoke of using a power hacksaw blade, too.

I *have* plenty of bed rail. It's good-n-hard...

Melterskelter likes this.
  8. rocco

rocco Silver

Maybe it's just me but, I associate the word strickle with British English and the North American English equivalent is screed or strike.

9. dennis

dennis Silver

The person who spoke of "stricklin' irons" is located just south of the Scottish border. I disrecall his "handle" on YouTube.

10. rocco

rocco Silver

To my point, although I'm quite sure he'd probably take exception to me referring to his brand of English as "British":D

11. dennis

dennis Silver

The term "Geordie" comes to mind. Reminded me of an entry in "the devil's data-processing dictionary" - "as me an' me marrer was readin' a tyape, th' tyape mak a shriek-mark, an' tried t' esciape..."

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Regional dialect in Britain can still vary massively within 100 miles. Older terms in engineering and trade seem to follow through from county to county over time.

Must be off to fettle my clevis.

13. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I seem to recall that Henry Higgins (My Fair Lady) could identify what neighborhood a person was from in London by his dialect. There are definitely recognizable regional differences within a 100 miles of where I live both in tone, twang, and pronunciation. Ontario, rural Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, Native American communities all have their own. Of course in Buffalo we all speak "normally" lol.
    I've worked in a number of printing shops locally over the years and the differences in shop-speak are both interesting and valuable. The value comes in the fact that there can be nuances relating to the processes at hand, and the new term you're hearing may fit that nuance in a way that helps you understand the process just a little differently than before. Sometimes they can be an impediment too. As technologies in my trade have changed certain terminologies become not only obsolete, but misleading. But old habits can be hard to shake.
    It seems that some terms are only recognized by folks who have been trained by old men. For example there are still a few guys around who pronounce the word "column" as kha-yum or "kiln" as kill, but they're a dying breed.

Pete

14. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Peedee,
    Do you have any pictures of the pivot you're sanding? ;)

15. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Your right, but forget 100 miles, Geordies are only 35 miles north of me and I need an interpreter when I visit

16. dennis

dennis Silver

Ps: I now recall his Handle: Doubleboost!

17. rocco

rocco Silver

Much of Europe is like that, my parents grew up in different small towns in the Netherlands maybe 10km apart from each other and while their local dialects were very similar, every once in a while one of them would come out with a word the other didn't know.

18. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

With Geordie it’s not just the odd word that you don’t recognise, it’s a whole different language and it’s as far removed from the Queens English as is Swahili. Google “The little Waster” Bobby Thompson, he was a well known Geordie comedian. He’s very funny, if you can understand a word that he says

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Just think how it is for us southerners (rural Suffolk)when a Geordie comes to visit the locality, we can't even grasp the Norwich accent. I often wonder how air traffic control would cope with a pilot calling 'wye eye man, I'm the big bugger cummin in on the left, alright pet'

20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

CBB apparantly pictures of my 'rod end' are not allowed here ;)

I asked the cheif engineer if he wanted me to do the 'bucking' on a wing section (as a joke) and his reply was 'we are not *******ng American'

Sincere apologies melter, I've just realised I've helped trash your thread. I lost track of where I was posting, sorry