Another lightweight fiber blanket furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Tobho Mott, Apr 29, 2019.

1. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Tobho, good job, you are like the traveling bell maker spreading your expertise!

Not to derail Tobho's thread, but I poured electrodes for a sinker EDM from copper when I was fiddling with the Indian Heads. I think It was HT1 that mentioned crushed glass as a cover but I just dedicated a small crucible for a test pour and cast a couple of shaped pieces. I'll try to get photos later.

2. On rereading my post was a little direct, that was not intended. I have read how hard copper is to cast but has not been my experience. I wound up with a lot of copper and started making ingots to save space. It does oxidize without flux.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/my-new-favorite-photo.672/

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Derail all you want, the furnace build is back on pause until the satanite arrives anyhow and I'll drag it back on course then.

The condenser casting is one of the gnarliest looking things I've ever seen, who knows what it'll look like once it's been cleaned up a bit (I'll try to get kept in the loop) but the melt itself seemed very clean to me, just that thin layer of flux floating on top of a glowing mirror.

Jeff

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Saves fuel too.
    After seeing the numbers from ironsides, I knew you would get excellent performance out of a very low mass furnace.
    Interesting casting for sure.

5. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I poured these to make a rocker arm for the Indian. I used the one for about an hour and reached the depth indicated by the black discoloration and then decided it was a waste of time cutting bar stock and I could speed up the operation by CNC ing a rough profile before forming the piece. Then never finished.
    The pattern was Bondo in petrobond sand and cleaned up in the blast cabinet. I did a little Dremel work to improve the surface on the interior and restore what I might have lost in the shrink. As I mentioned I think the cover flux was ground glass and as I remember it poured similar to cast iron, very fluid.
    I had to machine the stem for the holder and do not remember any problems with that either.

IMG_20190521_132520.jpg

IMG_20190521_132540.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

This is sort of on track for your build—-encouragement that you are on the right track.

I took my old lightweight lid apart today. It was just two layers of 1” wool and Satanite. The wool and Satanite survived well EXCEPT where the chimney I have to use forced hot gas around the vent liner and past the edge of the wool. There the metal covering failed and caused collapse of the area around the vent. But that was not due to some fundamental problem with the wool lining. It is true that the Satanite flaked off some with each firing but it was so easily patched that the flaking was only a minor nuisance. Some of that flaking was due to poor design on the chimney support I used on that lid. That is why i completely redesigned the chimney, the seal around the chimney and extended the vent liner and improved the lid lift mechanism. Inadequate lifting of the lid lifter contributed to the collapse too as after quite a few melts I was at time accidentally dragging the Satanite over the edge of the furnace. Satanite does not like that.

7. ESC: Could you give a little more explanation, I can't understand what you are showing. Did you cast iron in a copper mold?

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Andy, these are electrodes for the EDM. The rocker in the center is an original and probably forged steel. It was the last part I needed to have a complete reproduction head for the 1914 Indian. The electrodes were also my first pure copper castings. I had poured Silicon Bronze for the domes and so had ventured into some of the copper alloys before did these.

9. Thanks, I glossed over the EDM reference. Very cool. When was this?

10. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

11. Tobho Mott

And now PB is sending me slightly more polite ransom demands. They put our pix back (with their watermark), now they think if they ask nicer this time we'll forget and pay them not to also blur them?! Yeah right. Might want to replace your PB images while you can still see them... What a chore though!

Oh, and here, part 1 video of the furnace build. It has everything before I added the big box store chimney mortar (which I can confirm is best saved for emergencies, not for one's plan A):

Still no Satanite, I'm gonna order some.

Jeff

joe yard likes this.
  12. Tobho Mott

Part 2, now with more dark matter.

And a hinge for the lid.

See how well the "hi temp furnace cement" from Canadian Tire held up to the awesome power of the Hot Shot oil burner... (it actually did much better than I thought, for those who don't have 28 minutes to kill)
    One thing I'll say right now is, the 2 minute propane preheat before switching to diesel is a new record for me, and by a long shot.

Melting and pouring inside Josh's smithy building without burning it down or asphyxiating us both has me wanting to convert my own shed for indoor and winter casting! I should have gotten some shots of how he has the ceiling and ventilation set up to make this possible.

Jeff

13. PatJ

PatJ Silver

You may be able to eliminate the propane preheat entirely.
    I don't see the need for propane, but I would have to review your burner setup again.

I have seen several people operate furnaces indoors with a solid lid and a rear exhaust out a vertical stack.
    This is something that will not be forgiving, and should something go wrong, ie: insufficient ventilation; leaks in the system, etc., and the carbon monoxide get too high, you won't get a second chance to correct the problem.
    For a big open shed with ventilation, it could easily be done.

And don't forget you can get into a low oxygen situation too if you don't have adequate combustion air introduced from outside into the space, if the space is somewhat air tight.

Your furnace is looking good.

Edit:
    I watched some of the video.
    You may be able to switch to diesel right after turning on the propane.
    The downside of a very short preheat may be that if the furnace is not quite hot enough, you may get dribble and diesel on the bottom and sides of the furnace.

My guess is that with a rag with diesel on it in the furnace, and some combustion air turned on, you could omit the propane entirely, but it may not be a perfectly clean start.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  14. Tobho Mott

I'm very pleased with it.

The burner is a dripper, most similar to Lio's Hot Shot or a Moya. It definitely won't light without preheat when I'm running WVO, and on diesel it's seemed to need at least some preheat in my other furnace which usually takes up to 5 times as long to heat up enough that things inside are glowing. Since that is what I am used to, this did seem pretty darn close to eliminating preheat altogether! :D

Wanting doesn't necessarily mean planning to; I would definitely take all sorts of precautions if I ever decided to actually set up for indoor melting! Thanks, I appreciate the warning.

Jeff

15. I'd sure hate to be without my propane. Sometimes it's handy to just warm stuff up.

Now, if we have a "casting on a desert island with no tools" challenge...

16. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Hey, sounds like a throwdown challenge to me.
    Which island did you have in mind?
    Tropical would be best.

17. I was actually thinking Gilligan's Island. Or Fairway Rock.

18. Tobho Mott

It isn't an island but the secret campsite where my annual late September no wives or kids sausagefest weekend that keeps me this sane takes place is one one of my favourite spots and only accessible by canoe. Or I guess maybe a really long hike through some pretty rough terrain. Does that count?

This was my first metal casting experience, back in 2013, that's why none of the firewood you see was cut with a bronze axe:

:D
    Jeff

19. Tobho Mott

Satanite arrived! The first batch that I had assumed for eaten by USPS. Someone must have told them I'd ordered more.

I peeled off the cracked and melted chimney mortar which actually held up better than expected but not great, and it didn't take much ceramic fiber with it.

Painted on the first coat, thinned down to wick in a little bit a-la Fishbonz. I let it dry overnight rather than using fire. I'll add more tonight and take pictures if anything interesting happens.

Jeff

20. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Jeff, fire that first layer before adding more.