Another lightweight fiber blanket furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Tobho Mott, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Fire it fully, or just partly? Thanks, I've been trying to follow your method.

Jeff

2. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

It'll turn black and then grey, that bakes the water out.
    Then add another layer, bake again. Repeat for each layer.
    I bring the furnace to cherry red after two layers.

3. Tobho Mott

Ok, I was thinking air drying would be enough, but I am happy to spend more time playing with fire. :D

Jeff

4. FishbonzWV

I've found no need for air drying, paint it on and fire it.
    The reason I bring to cherry red is that the mullite morphs at 2500 F and forms a different grain structure. I think that's where the strength comes from. So then, you have a thin cured layer and build upon that.

5. If you don't fire it, it is still water soluble. I sure let it dry to the touch before firing.

6. Tobho Mott

But you said you don't fire to red heat until the last layer is on... Did I misunderstand?

Jeff

7. It's not rocket science, Jeff. Just fire it. If you have something to melt, melt then add more when it is cool. You don't need to worry about the next layer sticking. It is very forgiving. As long as you don't get it white heat and damage the wool.

8. Tobho Mott

Thanks Andy,

I've got about 4 hours to go before I can do anything at all with it today, so meanwhile I'm just trying to get it clear in my head what Bonz has been doing with his satanite, which he's had some great success with.

Jeff

9. FishbonzWV

I've found that the thinner the layers the less cracking. That's why I'm mixing so thin.
    The firing from black to grey just gets the water out (partial cure) and if I wasn't so impatient, firing to red (actual cure) on each coat would be best. So my trade off is every other coat. Curing also gives the full expansion and contraction cycle so the next coat can fill the cracks, but there will always be hairline cracks, just the nature of the beast.

10. Tobho Mott

Makes sense now, thanks.

Edit - turns out I actually do have a pic of coat 1, unfired:

PhotoPictureResizer_190606_123400091_crop_928x1014.jpg

Jeff

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  11. Tobho Mott

I was only planning on using the weed burner torch to fire the rims of lid and bore where they touch when the furnace is closed so I could fire the rest of it with my usual burner, but I got carried away and did the whole furnace.

Managed to get it all dried out and even glowing a little red. Haven't got a second coat on it yet, but it's ready. Did see a few cracks appear in the first coat, but it's not unexpected; that's why we do more than one coat!

PhotoPictureResizer_190607_063907635_crop_1466x950.jpg

Jeff

joe yard likes this.
  12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's coming along nicely Jeff. For curing the rims, I've just left a gap between the two, plug the perimeter with a little wool, and then fired the whole thing....in your case through the Tuyere?

Best,
    Kelly

13. Tobho Mott

I started out just trying to to dry the rims so they would be hard enough to prop the lid up a bit with a couple pieces of rebar (copying fishbonz' video), then I was going to use my normal burner in propane mode in through the tuyere to finish up. But it was working so well I just kept going. Only took about 8 minutes and I'd had the whole thing as red as the part of the lid that's under the torch in the pic above.

Jeff

14. What did the furnace say to Tobho of Qohor?

"You crack me up"

15. Tobho Mott

Ouch... :rolleyes:

Jeff

16. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I have found a 400,000BTU weed burner to be useful for semi- controlled heating of furnace parts recently coated with Satanite and other refractories. I just waved it over the area of interest and watch for signs of drying, color change, glowing, etc. Yhis is not an ideal solution by any means, but I liked being able to see what was happening as heat was applied and being able to adjust the burner flame and duration of application.

Denis

oldironfarmer likes this.
  17. Tobho Mott

Funny you should say that, I found the same thing to be true!

I was just trying to dry out the mating surfaces where the lid meets the wall and maybe try to get them glowing a little so I could fire the rest of the Satanite with the usual burner, but I wound up just doing the whole furnace with the weed burner for the first couple coats. Got it to glow red pretty quick!

PhotoPictureResizer_190607_063907635_crop_1466x950.jpg

Last night I got what may be the final coat on, and fired up the furnace to temper the apparently unused #6 clay graphite crucible I got with my used kiln several months ago. I guess the other one I just got from Josh the blacksmith is a #6 too as it is pretty much the same size. Which is good, it means my 3 finger fireplace tongs will work really well as crucible tongs and pouring shank for both, and now I have one for bronze and one for aluminum that are small enough I can use my oil burner with them in the new furnace.

I think I'll actually try a melt using just propane. The crucible I tempered was red hot at its base and orange at its rim within 5 minutes using my Hot Shot running propane at just ~5psi with a hair dryer for a blower.

PhotoPictureResizer_190608_115416222_crop_764x695.jpg
    (Pic makes it look brighter/hotter in there than it actually was.)

If I can melt that #6 of aluminum as fast as I think I can using just so little propane, that might become my go to for smaller aluminum melts from now on, since I can avoid using the much noisier shop vac. The oil burner does also seem to be taking a toll on the plinth I cast for the big furnace, I think it just sits a little too close to the wall where the burner comes in.

20190605_132930-780x1040.jpg

I'll probably give it a coat of Satanite too, let that stuff take the brunt of the punishment rather than the dense castable.

We'll see. I definitely do plan to find how the Satanite holds up with the diesel drip actually turned on in the near future as well...

Jeff

oldironfarmer likes this.
  18. Go ahead, abuse your Satanite!:eek: Just cost nickles to buy...

19. Tobho Mott

I used up most of what I have already, but I've got more on the way for patching and repairs, or if I think I need to build it up a bit thicker or anything... ;)

Jeff

20. FishbonzWV

So easy, a cave man can do it...:)

Edit: Do Canuks get Geico commercials? Ooops

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019