Another UK member.

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Crockpot, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Crockpot

Crockpot Copper

I found home foundry after looking for forums after AlloyAvenue went AWOL. So here I am.
    I have a home built foundry, made from a propane bottle. It uses an also home made propane burner.
    So far all I have done is make some ingots and that was a while back. I have a small project in mind so it's time to delve into it again.
    I have a small machine shop at home, lathe and mill plus mig and tig welders along with an assortment of kit acquired over the years. I should add I'm retired so time is all my own:)
    I'll stop babbling now. Don't expect a great input from me as I'm a rank amateur at this but I will be along occasionally with dumb questions:rolleyes:

Cheers and thanks for the forum,

Paul

Tobho Mott and Ferrisbeu like this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Paul. You've already taken the first step in the ability melt and handle molten metal. Now onto patterns, mold materials, and molding. Looking forward to your progress. What do you have in mind for a first project?

Best,
    Kelly

Crockpot likes this.
  3. Welcome Paul, this is a great place to learn and let people learn from you. We're all amateurs for the most part. There are a lot of resources here.

My advice is to melt and pour. Practice is one of the best teachers. And show us what you're doing. Pictures are appreciated. We would also like to lust after your equipment.

Crockpot likes this.
  4. Crockpot

Crockpot Copper

Thanks for the welcome guys.
    I'm still a a way from getting started properly with pattern making etc.
    First project is a fuel injection manifold for a Chrysler 318 I'm rebuilding. Sounds ambitious but it's not, construction is two cast manifold slabs, a flat valley cover and fabricated runners and plenums.
    I should mention I trained as a fabricator/welder/sheet metal worker and went on to work in drawing office's and then as a multi skilled maintenance engineer.
    I'll put up photos as and when and when I get the feel of the site.

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

The ability to make castings will be a great addition to your shop once you get going. Sounds like an interesting project, welcome to the home foundry!

Jeff

Crockpot likes this.
  6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Welcome from another Paul in the UK

Crockpot likes this.
  7. Crockpot

Crockpot Copper

Thanks Tobho and Peedee.

8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome! We have a great bunch of guys (and gals sometimes I guess) willing to listen, learn and help. From your short resume it sounds like you have a lot to bring to the party.
    Photos are pretty easy. I post from my iPad most of the time. I take pictures with my phone and email them to myself at reduced size. Then I open them and save to my photo library. Then when posting I go to the “upload a file” button and then select which pictures to upload. You can then choose whether to have them appear as thumbnails or full size.

Pete

Crockpot likes this.
  9. Crockpot

Crockpot Copper

Thanks Petee716,

I'm not sure about bringing much to the party having seen some of the work on here!
    I now have a problem, my pc will not let me log in, says I need to enable cookies. They are enabled. How the hell do I sort that ( computer doofus). I'm posting from my phone which is a pain.

Cheers Paul

10. Crockpot

Crockpot Copper

Sorted. Had to log in using Firefox instead of Edge.