Automotive Rear Upright/Wheel Carrier

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

They look fantastic Kelly. Now adventures in heat treat?

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Thanks for the likes fellas.

Yes. Trying to decide how frisky I want to get. T5.....easy. Something that approaches a T6 schedule....more risky. All I have is my 14" bore furnace with the resistive electric insert. The uprights are a bit awkward given their dimensions.

77 Controller Installed.JPG
    78 e-Insert.jpg

In the past for smaller parts in my smaller furnace, I shielded the parts from the radiant coils by placing them inside a can lined with a 1/4" of ceramic paper. For these larger parts, I'm thinking preheat the furnace and get all the surfaces up to as uniform of a temperature as possible and then hang part from the vent hole in the lid near the top and more importantly the temperature sensor. I'll use one of the development parts as a trial.

Best,
    Kelly

Al Puddle likes this.
  3. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Kelly,
    That is quite a nice furnace setup you have there. Until these photos I didn’t appreciate your whole lift mechanism with the counter balance weights and the v guide wheels running on the vertical box tubing. Very neat how the bottom weights pull up the lid and then the large weights follow them down to lift the body off. Nice job!

4. Al2O3

Thanks Gary. My smaller furnace lift is similar, with a counterweight and electric actuator, but just has one post with a rolling carriage and cantilever mounted furnace body. My larger furnace hasn't gotten much use because the smaller one can handle an A20 and has thus far been able to handle all my castings. The larger one , can accommodate an A60 as shown below and I do have ambitions for several larger castings.

58 Lifted with A60.JPG

An A60 is a whole new ball game when it comes to handling molten metal....even aluminum. I built this trolley but will likely use a walking gantry to handle that molten mother when the time comes.

4 Cart Anotated.jpg

Best,
    Kelly

joe yard and Tobho Mott like this.
  5. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Kelly,
    You said the furnace is 8 KW which is only 27,600 BTU, and about $1.00 an hour to run. The gas fired furnace I got is rated 250,000 BTU input! So your furnace must be very efficient. I would guess that is because a gas fired furnace sucks in cold air continuously and also blows heat out of the furnace. Yours just sits there getting hot I would guess. Since I am an electrical guy by nature this appeals to me. The person that gave me the furnace also had an electric ceramic kiln that was bigger than the furnace, I think its 12 KW . I wonder how that would work for casting?

6. Al2O3

Pretty close. My residential rate is 10c/kw-hr so about .80/hr to operate........at least when it is coming to temperature. When it's at or holding temperature like in heat treating, it's a small fraction of that because there is a duty cycle, but for melting, pretty much 100% duty cycle.......but in any case, less than a buck for me to melt 20lbs of aluminum and still less for subsequent melts.

Yes, if it is a fuel fired furnace, input is the operative word because fuel fired hobby furnaces are usually only in the 10-25% range as far as thermodynamic efficiency. I believe you may be referencing energy release in burning the fuel which isn't what goes into the melt. You do need to raise the combustion air temp too but the majority is lost through the vent and some is lost through the furnace surfaces. The amount of energy to initially bring the furnace and crucible mass to temperature is a loss too that occurs every first melt.......but insulating losses and thermal mass initialization is present in either electric or fuel fired furnace. A well insulated resistive electric furnace/kiln is in the 90s% for thermo efficiency.....and it is instant on....takes me a couple minutes to set up and flip the switch.

I really like my resistive electric, but there are pros and cons. It's really just an aluminum duty furnace. I believe I could do bronze but it would be slow and not sure how long lived it would be. In aluminum duty it's very practical. No doubt slower melt times but I mold and am never at a loss for productive things to do in the shop and unattended operation is safe.....just check in on temp occasionally.

Best,
    Kelly

7. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Kelly,
    There is lots to like about your furnace design, especially going from the furnace directly to pouring without setting the crucible down. In the interest of making it simpler to build I was thinking about whether you could build a clamshell furnace with a vertical hinge up one side. One side would swing open like a door exposing the crucible. The top would tilt up on a hinge just like a conventional furnace. Is there something else about your design I am missing?

8. Al2O3

Have a look at this thread Gary. Lot's of furnace examples here.....some like you describe.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/the-furnace-thread.276/

The two biggest advantages of the lift off method used on my furnace are you can accommodate a larger crucible, especially if it is resistive electric because you don't need to circulate combustion gas around it, and it tends to retain heat well when you open it. My small furnace is 10" bore and easily handles an A20. It does complicate the build and I would have two think twice about it for an iron duty furnace as material choices and failure modes become a much greater concern.

When you couple the lift off with and open ring shank, you can snatch and pour in just a few seconds......and I like that too!

BTW, the reason my furnace is 8kw is I used the design criteria in the Kanthal handbook. The two limiting factors are furnace wall loading and coil loading. Cant remember which limited it to 8kw but compared to kilns, it's a fair amount of power for the furnace volume.

Best,
    Kelly