B36 take off

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Ironsides, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I was watching this video and was thinking that this plane was very under powered as it took 10 seconds from when the front wheel left the runway to when the rear wheels left the runway. It was very interesting to see propellers used as well as jet engines.

2. Jimmy Stewart was a Brigadier General in the Air Force reserve as a bomber pilot until 1968. B36: six turning and four burnin.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Pretty cool.

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Part of the long takeoff roll might be related to the fact that the plane carried enough fuel to fly missions of 10,000 miles without refueling. Flights with a crew of 15 could last 24 hours. An amazing plane. 28 cylinders per engine. 336 spark plugs.

Denis

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I never saw a plane with props facing backwards like that before. For a moment I thought they had the wings on backwards! o_O

Cool stuff.

Jeff

6. bill

bill Silver

Awesome!

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 10.18.54 AM.jpg

7. rocco

rocco Silver

You don't see too many pusher props and most of the ones you do see are on smaller aircraft.
    Here are a couple of the more common ones:
    Cessna 337 Skymaster, a twin with one pusher and one conventional prop
    C337.jpg

The Lake Renagade, an amphibian, it's got a boat like hull for landing for on water and retractable gear on landing on the ground.
    Lake amphibian.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

And the coolest pusher of them all......
    There is a guy at Addison that flys one all the time. I hear he has 2 spare aircraft for parts.

The Beechcraft starship!

4b915598001a5748b479008f5d67d6a3.jpg
    32694_1447542765.jpg

Then there is this italian shitbox. Good luck getting parts for it. Great cabin inside.

Piaggio. P180
    piaggio-avanti-ii.jpg

Now this ugly bitch is flying now, not certified yet and I wish they wouldn't, but if the numbers come in, it's a game changer for private aviation. It will make a lot of guys dump their jets.

Celera500
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...volutionary-celera-500l-aircraft-may-fly-soon
    celera-2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    _Jason likes this.
  9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That last one reminds me of one of your castings....

Mark's castings and Al2O3 like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, the casting that YOU NOW OWN! :p

11. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

If you thought that was strange have a look at this video called "whacky flying machines" Have a look at the 8:58 where he climbs out of the aircraft to test his auto pilot.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  12. Beautiful B36!

Never used in war, I believe one of the few US bombers never used, probably the B58 wasn't either.

Remember it had two fuel systems, those 28 cylinder radials don't burn kerosene, and the jets don't burn gasoline.

The jets were assist, a little like JATO. They were to get to altitude then she cruised on gasoline.