Ball Muller

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by Mach, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Mach

Mach Silver

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I've absolutely seen that before, but I think it was on Alloyavenue. Hopefully they have found us here by now and will speak up, because I'm drawing a blank on remembering their name.

Jeff

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

My muller is an HF cement mixer with just a large stone for the ball, no wipers, no paddles.
    When I used it with greensand it would keep a surface rust that helped tumble the sand.
    Oil based PB polishes the drum so it's a little finicky to get the sand tumbling. I have to alter the amount of sand and the angle of the mixer to get things rolling. The stone is not completely round either so it rolls,tumbles, and slides.
    I get along fine with it.

Just in case somebody is wondering:
    Bowling balls do not work. There's too much surface area for the weight and they just float on top of the sand.

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I checked the video poster’s channel and it looks like Robert’s stuff: indoor foundry, forklift, etc.
    I recognized the video too.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  5. Mach

Mach Silver

Here's another of the same type but with Petrobond. Looks high maintenance.

6. FishbonzWV

The ball is too small.
    The stone I use is three times the diameter of that one.

7. Mach

Mach Silver

Interesting, so a 12-16" rough hewn stone ball?

8. FishbonzWV

The one I have probably started around 10-12 inches. It’s been in use for about 10 years so it’s smaller and rounder now. Find a fairly round river rock and it’ll work.
    Unlike the balls, the rocks go through different antics. Rolling, flopping, sliding, all the good stuff a regular muller does.

9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I tried bowling ball...too light...round river rock was working great until it broke...now I am using a big pinion gear that slides around and spins and the gears help chop up the sand...work pretty good for up to about 100 lbs of sand.

Tops likes this.
  10. FishbonzWV

I forgot about having this photo.
    My piece of rip rap that I use to mull in the small HF mixer.

IMG_2425.JPG

Tops likes this.
  11. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Thanks for posting that. I just got mine set up. The 'wave' action is sort of mesmerizing... tops_lilHF_stopped.jpg tops_lilHF_running.jpg

12. FishbonzWV

Damn, that's a really round rock. Good find
    Look at all that paint on the inside...it won't last long.
    When it's gone you'll get some surface rust that helps tumble.
    Little tip: If the sand starts to stick on the walls, it's too wet.

Tops and Billy Elmore like this.
  13. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

We have some really nice round creek rocks around here that will work, but no for very long, they will eventually break apart in my metal concrete mixing muller.

Tops likes this.
  14. Tops

Thanks Everyone!
    First batch of sand did really well in the mixer. The second batch seemed wetter/stickier and grabbed the rock a little more. I added some more sand and will try mulling it again later today.

15. FishbonzWV

You can see what's stuck to my stone. At first I was wiping it off and soon gave up and just went with it. PB sticks like crazy.

Tops likes this.
  16. Tops

Yeah, my keeper stone is 1/2 covered with green sand too. I have a buddy looking for a few more 8" round (volleyball-sized) candidates on his farm.
    I have not tried Petrobond in mine yet.