BEARDSLEY & PIPER MULBARO MULLER

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by Planebuilder, Jul 15, 2020.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Probably, but the rubber wheels are required, the Mulburo operates differenetly then other mullers, the Barrow is almost a perfect dish
    ( think how complicated that makes the wheels to the barrow relation),
    the wheels all but contact the barrow .

if the Barrow is missing, you have spare parts, do not buy

in good working order the Machine is really handy, as you lift the muller off the barrow, and take the Barrow to your sand the barrow is hugh (3 FT Diameter)
    so you can break out many molds into it . run the barrow back under the muller drop it down
    Jog the start: this is inportant,the muller can rotate 1/4 a turn before interlocking with the barrow .
    if everything is bad: Big Lumps of hard sand , overloaded barrow . you can flip the Machine ( DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN)
    trust me on this very bad day , think like having a trigger locked drill or grinder getting away from you and spinning like a top save it weights nearly a ton

V/r HT1
    P.S. it's a hell of a machine, but you have to overcome the 3 Phase and being able to lift it or it is a no go

2. OMM

OMM Silver

I stock single phase input VFD’s up to 15 hp.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Brand and model? And it will take single phase without a 57% derating?

Denis

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. OMM

OMM Silver

ENC 600

I call everyone of my customers one to three times to walk them through the set up and programming. 70% of my customers are converting woodworking machines. It has been argued that I am personally one of the best companies to deal with for after sales help and no hassle warranty. I am the One of two Canadian/US dealers/distributors. I have a special contract directly with the manufacture to make all my Vfd‘s single phase input with a small break resistor installed and ability for external brake resistor.

I move 200-250 a year.
    I stock 1.5 kW, 2.2 kW, 3.7 kW, 5.5 kW, 7.5 kW and 11 kW. I can get bigger if you wish. But the 11 kW is over $1000USD. They all are single phase input between 220 V and 260 V. Three phase output.

I don’t do any advertising. This is probably the first you’ve heard of this from me. 95% of my sales are word-of-mouth. There is absolutely no D rating. Whatever the three phase output is you have to give double that for single phase amps.

Edit; so my 11 kW (or 15 hp) VFD I believe has 33 amp output. You need to put this on a 66 amp 240 V single phase breaker or bigger, but for this one I usually tell the customers a 60 amp single phase circuit will be big enough. I also do phase conversion counselling. I don’t sell just because I can. Sometimes I have to suggest Phase Perfect, Rotary phase converter‘s, transforming and transformers. I give full balanced information to everyone.

B749347A-449E-4D0D-A567-41BDD2B7E37D.jpeg

CD2CCB4C-AF27-4804-919D-CEAF628DFF59.jpeg

5. Melterskelter

Matt,

I am confused. I looked up Enc600 and found out they are INVERTERS not VFD’s. Is that correct? There is a big difference.

Here is a link to the service manual. Page two states the units are inverters.
    http://www.sah.rs/Frekventni_I_Servo/Manual/EN500 EN600 Manual V2.0-A2.pdf

I finally was able (my iPad was having trouble copying) the manual introduction:

EN500/EN600 series hi-
    s CO., LTD.
    EN500/EN600 series hi-performance flux vector inverter adopt advanced control mode to achieve high torque, high precision and wide-range speed regulation drive, and it also support speed sensorless torque control and PG control torque. It can meet customer all kinds of requirement to universal inverter. EN500/EN600 inverter is a organic combination for customer’s universal and industrial control purpose and provide practical main-auxiliary frequency provision, run channel frequency binding, PID regulator, simple PLC, spinning traverse, programmable input&output terminal control, pulse frequency provision and inbuilt Modbus, Can bus, Profibus, 485 freedom protocol and other function and platform. It
    adopt advanced control mode to achieve high torque, high precision and wide-range speed regulation drive, and it also support speed sensorless torque control and PG control torque. It can meet customer all kinds of requirement to universal inverter. EN500/EN600 inverter is a organic combination for customer’s universal and industrial control purpose and provide practical main-auxiliary frequency provision, run channel frequency binding, PID regulator, simple PLC, spinning traverse, programmable input&output terminal control, pulse frequency provision and inbuilt Modbus, Can bus, Profibus, 485 freedom protocol and other function and platform. “.

Denis

6. OMM

OMM Silver

Denis you pretty much got it. It is considered a inverter. That is version 2.0 I believe I am running on 5.0. That manual is from 2015.

Sah I believe is one of our Asian distributors. He’s got a good website put together.

Now that you have me in the hot seat, ask me any question you want.

7. Melterskelter

OK, Matt thanks for clarifying that you do not stock or sell VFD’s. Inverters are certainly useful drives, but are completely different animals.

Denis

8. OMM

OMM Silver

How are they completely different animals in your opinion?

In my opinion, anything that is converted from AC to DC back to pulse wave modulation AC through bridge rectifiers and a DC bus... has been inverted a few times.

It complies with everything a VFD will do and more. You can even feed it DC power from a solar array (or wind turbine) and turn it into AC pulse wave modulation. This manual is written twice in point form and then in elaborated form.

Under the simple PLC programming that is laid out in the manual, my air compressor is running with 16 different programs under pressure needs.

I have one of the most complicated air compressors in the market, it is pretty cool that it is a 5 hp 80 gallon, but under light use it is a half horsepower.

Edit; I’m gonna put this inverter/Vfd (after the weekend) on my drill press. I already posted a little video. Compare. I love open discussion. If a inverter does everything a Vfd does and more...., does this make it not a Vfd?

Sometimes I’m known as Matt Matt. And here is a screenshot of a review. My partner is Jack. You can find Jack and I reviews from practical machinist, sawmill Creek, OWWM...

Sometimes I will even go above the call of duty and help somebody wire, program and set up any VFD throw at me(that I have no game in). Humm.... i’m not supposed to do this! So Shhhhh. But I like happy people!

781077B5-3D6D-41DB-8FEB-1A44924ED2B5.png

If you wish, I can even show you how to build your own RPC from scratch... if you want to save a few dollars.

9. Melterskelter

Matt,

Sorry I barked at you, but you must have seen above some back and forth concerning VFD’s and maximum HP capability for 230vac input. Then you popped up and said you sold VFD’s of 15 hp. Not really. You sell inverters. Does the difference matter? Well, yes and no. Does it matter for the OP? Most likely the motor on that muller will not be all that large IF he buys it at all so he could use either.

But there are also differences in operation of VFD’s and inverters so accuracy in terminology matters, I think.

Below is the best short summary for someone of the options available for the OP I could find includes Rotary Phase Converters (we have not mentioned that yet and I run one on my lathe and surface grinder), Inverter Drives, and VFD’s all of which offer their own pluses and minuses.

https://www.wolfautomation.com/blog/phase-converters-vs-vfds/

It sounds as if you provide service above and beyond for your customers.

Denis

Edit. I see you did put in info about RPC’s
    It’s late.

10. Planebuilder

Planebuilder Copper

Thanks for all the input guys, it really was helpful! The muller I was offered, is complete , with the barrow, $500 CDN. It is offered as needing overhaul, I was fine with that. The seller seems very knowledgeable, would include a manual. He said all parts were there but if I found something missing he has parts. But, at 3' diameter, it's a bit bigger than I anticipated, hard to judge from pics. I was starting to wonder when he told me the shipping weight! Lifting the muller would not be a problem, but it is an extra step, and makes the whole machine less portable. If it were not for the shipping cost putting the deal over 1000$ I probably would buy it, but after seeing the great mullers some of you have built, I think I can make a simpler (than the mulbaro) one that is more compact and portable.

Melterskelter and Mister ED like this.
  11. JTMD

JTMD Copper

We had a Mulbaro in our foundry - only used it for CO2 coresand. It was a brute and needed a pretty strong chainhoist to life the top off the wheelbarrow (which we only did for cleaning). you dont *have* to lift it, there's a door on top but it's not very big. It takes a LOT of room and *most* of them are not only 3 phase, they're 480.
    Way too much for a home hobby foundry IMHO

I ran across a horizontal grout mixer at a job site the other day.. all fingers and no wheel but it looked like it would be way easy to convert...

12. I have had a dozen or more Mulbaro's not to be confused with a Portamuller. You are correct about it's operation. Typically, users have 2 bottoms in use. B&P is out of business and it's mullor line is now part of Simpson. They told me that the reason the Portamullor was so expensive was because they haven't manufactured a new one in over 10 years. If anyone really wants to buy one, I have found one for sale....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021