Bridgeport for Beginners!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Much better!

Clay and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. OMM

OMM Silver

You got 0.001" total travel. That is totally respectable and acceptable.

Jason likes this.
  3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I hadn't used vernier micrometers in around 30 years until this last job and it is painfull to try to pick it up again. (Riding a bike is easier to get back to) Not helped by the fact I've been metrificated since then so I now have to do things in decimal inches and fractional is a stab in the dark in a mindset way.

I'm sticking with thou, I can visualise that, microns and mm are pushed back into a subset of my memory for now.

PS Good video on reading vernier scales

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah Matt, Chirpy on yt called the last one a banana! lmao.

Metric is just not happening for this guy. Airports abroad report winds to me in meters per second. o_O I dont even attempt to figure it out and just fly the damn plane. As long as I know the direction its blowing, velocity doesnt matter.:cool:

5. rocco

rocco Silver

Can I use that sometime? About 20 years ago, I got sued because some idiot pilot coming in for a landing made an incorrect crosswind calculation and took his 727 off the side of a somewhat slippery runway into a snowbank taking out his landing gear on the process. I knew I'd be okay, I'd done nothing wrong and that was backed up by the facts but good lord what a pain, a couple trips out of town for 12 hours of depositions by multiple hostile lawyers, I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Where the hell was the rest of the crew that let him do that??? That thing req'd an FE. Surely someone should have spoke up. I find out the crosswind is outta limits when I run out of rudder. They call it max demonstrated crosswind component and when you go over that, you become a test pilot.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

I'd really rather not say much more about that publicly, I'll pm you few details.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

The statue of limitations ran out long ago pal, besides you did nothing wrong.

ยง 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.
    (a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

Its ALWAYS the pilots fault. That's why we get paid the bucks and get the hot chicks!:D
    If I wanted to be wrong daily and keep my job, I would have been a weatherman!:p

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Someone mind edjumakating me how the hell they cut these internal teeth? Please say they don't broach all these bastards!
    My mechanics tool went for a walk. We have scored a photo and should have a loaner coming for a short time. I think this is another
    job I might get stuck in trying to dupe. It does some magic removing and installing a turbine shaft nut (I think) in a jet engine.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Screenshot_20210327-190012_Messages.jpg

This it? Skiving??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

There are some super smart people out there!

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hobbing.....

Clay likes this.
  12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The cnc version. But nothing has changed..

13. Jason

Jason Gold

So I could do something like this on the BP with my positioner if I could find the right tool? Does that thing have a name? A hobber??

14. Bridgeports have an optional slotting head.

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

I bet that sucker is a rare bird. I know they had a couple of addons that mounted in the big hole on the back. Very versatile machine.

16. I missed out on a British license built "Bridgeport by Adcock and Shipley" at an auction with a slotting head, ex technical college and mothballed in storage for 25 years, it sold for $2500.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Broaching a spline - Spline broaching involves using a broach to form a series of ridges or teeth around the circumference of a pre-cut hole. It is an efficient way to create serrated, straight or involute splines. The automotive industry relies on spline broaches to create transmission and driveshaft parts, among other items

How about this... And I say this in my best squinty one eyed dipshit Columbo voice...

images.jpg

NOW JUST SUPPOSE, I could could get my hands on a spare unserviceable shaft, I could cut the male splined section off it. From there, I turn the ends flat. Then divide the length in say 5 or 6 sections leaving the last section's teeth untouched. I start on the one end and purposely damage the teeth on the lathe. And proceed up to the next section with a little less damage thus slightly increasing the diameter as I go. Until I get to the far end (on the left in my chicken scratch drawing) where the teeth are pristine. Now with the right big ass press, couldn't I shove this through a ring to create the internal teeth I need? Basically creating my own broach? I'm sure it wouldn't press through with one go, but pressing it in and out, I think it would eventually get through if the major inner diameter is correct. (I'm guessing that would be the overall diameter of the finished teeth.)

20210329_034808.jpg

This is pretty cool! I suppose if a donor shaft isn't available, it would be an idea to cut my own splined section of shaft? I wonder what this wobble thing is they have on this milling machine???

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  18. Clickspring makes a square hole broach in this video, the principles would be the same for a spline broach. Like you say you'd have to make a spline shaft out of some suitable tool steel with enough length that each broach section cuts a suitable small depth of cut. The longer you make the broach the less material it has to remove with each section but then your press would need packers to get the full stroke.

19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

What tolerance is on the finished mating spline? Some of that stuff requires a sloppy fit but there should be a technicald detail/ manual for it. (I spent last week arguing over a 1 thou shim on a prop nut)