Bronze Cookware?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by dennis, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Kind of like Covid issues...wear a mask or don't...some say it helps and others don't and some say it will make it worse....guess you believe what you want and deal with it however you want since there are so many opinions. I did add that I work for a cast iron cookware company for a reason though.LOL

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I believe it's a myth too. If it wasn't, we'd sure have a lot of confused people in 3rd world places. Now washing metals with a mouthful of mercury is still not recommended.. lol.

3. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Could be.. those studies were done for a reason. Al is much higher in AD patients...that is not a myth. Could be coincidence or just a side affect of the disease but we are not smart enough to know for sure yet. I would carry it on a camping trip before I would carry cast iron though.

dennis likes this.
  4. dennis

dennis Silver

I use cast iron regularly. That's the usual. I have a 10.5" inch well-seasoned Lodge on the stove.

Aluminum when I must travel. I hope to do so more in the future than the *none* I've managed in the last 20 years.

Bronze so I can use it occasionally, and then write about it in a fictional context.

Billy Elmore and rocco like this.
  5. rocco

rocco Silver

LOL. That's a worthy cause.:p

Billy Elmore likes this.
  6. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I second that!:D

rocco likes this.
  7. dennis

dennis Silver

The Lodge works well for corn tortillas and eggs. Use butter & olive oil to prevent sticking.

It's a bit big for travel.

8. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Of course we do have a lightweight line out now that is much lighter and more difficult to make. It's more for indoor cooking. Please don't ask them to do something sensible like making lightweight camping cookware. I don't need any more overtime. I would like to melt my own metal.lol

dennis likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

My idea of camping these days is done at the Hilton. :p

We did get one of those cast iron/ bbq grill things fresh off the boat. Nothing beats dropping some eggs, onions and potatoes on that griddle on a sunday morning.
    To go with the new griddle, we dumped the keurig. I bought a couple of old school American made percolators from fleabay. I tell you, I forgot what a good cup of coffee tastes like!
    I grind my own beans and wow what a difference. Keurig coffee tastes like MUD! If you've never had well made perked coffee, I feel bad for you.
    If you wanna try this, do not buy a new Farberware on amazon. The chinese models get too hot and F up your coffee. Stick with the classic model #138
    Grind as coarse as you can.

I got a 100bucks in this pair of these 2 pots from the 1960's/1970's and they both heat my coffee to within 3 degrees of each other! American made all the way.
    Sad to think about it actually, we can't even control a stupid virus these days without destroying everything in sight! Mankind is F'd as we know it!

20210129_160328.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    bill and Billy Elmore like this.
  10. dennis

dennis Silver

I thought so.

Best start getting the wood together for a mark 2 pattern. I'm wanting about 7 inches at its widest point, with a pattern on the bottom to get more out of the fire. (The alcohol/butane/propane fire...)

Never learned to like coffee.

I'm too old and "sickly" to manage "conventional" camping any more, even if most hotels are (very much) too rich for my blood. I need a shower to retain a measure of sanity, and an electrical outlet/large battery to retain life. Beyond that, comfort is required for restful sleep.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Billy Elmore likes this.
  11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

If allu,imium causes dementia then with the amount I must accidentally ingest everyday I'm royally screwed! I'm working with the theory red wine helps remove it from the system ;)

Billy Elmore, dtsh and Tobho Mott like this.
  12. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

So what's the protocol for making CI cookware in terms of toxicity? Do you guys only work with certified ingot (I'd have to assume so)? Any special considerations for the sand?

Pete

dennis likes this.
  13. dennis

dennis Silver

14. Petee716

Bump

dtsh and Bldr J like this.
  15. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

16. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Yes...we melt over 3 million certified ingots per day....you cant even be serious?

17. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I would say...find a safer alternative to cast iron if you can. Good luck!

18. Petee716

Totally serious. Im not in the cookware industry so I dont know. I'd like to make some CI cookware and want to be sure I'm doing it with safe materials.

19. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

The only thing we have to test is the radioactivity. Anything coming out of Russia (or China) needs to be tested.... ie:Russian pig. We buy either Russian or Brazilian pig and use stamped steel scraps for our steel. Basic ingredients are just pig and steel mixed with returns. I do not think you can create any level of concern about toxicity with basic cast iron. At least I have never heard of anything remotely possible and I am sure as long as we have been in business we would have been in court if there were any possibilities that cast iron can create a toxic level of anything. I have seen people melting brake rotors to make cookware with so I would not worry about anything but making the design you want. Weight is the only down side to cast iron cookware and to make it lighter requires lots of extra effort and attention to detail...for the home foundry I definitely would not worry about weight as much as a design that feels good to you or serves a certain purpose for you. I would suggest you go to the Lodge Cast Iron website and check out some of the new designs and weights of the new vs the old and compare the prices...the heavier stuff is cheaper due to the difficulty in making it lighter. You may even see something that sparks an idea for you.

20. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Forgot to mention the sand. Anything that might be in the sand that should not be there would most likely cause scrap in one form or another and would never make it to the consumer. Silica sand and clay and water should be the only thing in it...anything else and you have defects. We have had hydraulic leaks and other oddities get into the sand and trust me it gets noticed and cleaned up real fast. We will dump a few tons of sand in a heartbeat if it is in question at all. When you are making 1700 skillets an hour on one machine you dont take any chances on some crappy sand causing a few million dollars wroth of scrap. It adds up way too fast.

Tobho Mott and dennis like this.