Bronze tchotchkes

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Jason, Jul 26, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

This sounds like a bidding war? $10 plus shipping? To start the bid?

Huckleberry likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry, no can do. I seriously cut production to just 3. One day, you all will see them get tossed in a crucible. I hate mass production that much. Never again will I let my wife talk me into such utter madness. There is a thing about copying something, specifically if it's not your original design as the case with these airplanes. It does something to your mind and robs you of that inner desire to see something to the finish. This one is a great example... If I would have spent that time solving my glass issues on the crazy tree lamp, I would have it up on the market by now.:mad: Now I've got a mill hogging up time:rolleyes:

If one of you wants the silicone, I can be easily talked into letting that go I'm sure.

3. OMM

OMM Silver

That’s too bad. These would make great Christmas tree ornaments selling on eBay for $100 a pop, plus shipping....

4. Jason

Jason Gold

People are too cheap these days. Maybe when china falls off the map from Corona virus, maybe our castings will become valuable again. I bought something the other day from china and was given a warning about massive delays. :rolleyes: I was not surprised one bit.

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Gifts and that's it. I have too very strong addictions, swearing and accolades from gift recipients. This hobby gives both. I met a guy recently, about 90 years old. Retired heavy mechanic, welder, rigger, you know the type- never wore anything but Dickies work clothes. Boy Scout for 80 years. I told him I was a hobby metal caster and his eyes lit up. He brought an ancient silicone mold up out of his basement and put in his order for 10 traditional scouting neckerchief slide facsimiles he wanted in order to make a plaque. And I couldn't say no, of course. I bought a bag of hydrocal and cast 3 copies before the silicone mold started to give out. Patterns sealed with spray laquer and painted black.
    My other friend is a knife maker and is making a knife for his 90 year old friend and asked me to make him a couple sets of inlays for the old boy and his wife as well.
    Cast with Everdur in petrobond.
    Not sure how these pictures will sort. Sorry, not a very good photographer. Once I'm done with some cleanup I'll post better ones.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Copper

7. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Copper

People are too cheap? I would agree with you normally. I'll take one for $100 plus freight to Nebraska. Anyone else want one at that price or just me? So help me.....you melt those down I'm gonna lose my $hit.

Jason likes this.
  8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I was with Hucleberry I was going to tell you $50 + shipping if you just cut the sprue off rough I'd do the rest of the clean up.

Huckleberry likes this.
  9. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Copper

Or this, let's do it.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Those are pretty fancy pieces Petee! It can be hard sometimes to say NO, but the older I get, the easier it is becoming. The guys warned me over in my bridgeport thread about the asshat that will stop over with a titanium bolt that needs to be turned now that I have a lathe and expect it done for free. I have a million things to do and not much time these days.

11. dennis

dennis Silver

I agree. I have never been comfortable asking for money for things I've made. I have wished for many years that I could just give stuff away and have stuff I need/want just show up when I needed it.

dtsh likes this.
  12. JBC

JBC Copper

Etsy costs $0.20 to list it and see (I'm catching up....only four months behind in these posts).