budget conscience burn out kiln?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Bill W, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Bill W

Bill W Copper

Is there such a thing as a budget conscience burn out kiln?

Smaller units for jewelry cost in the $650 range but they can only handle a 3 inch tall flange. I don't need a huge unit but it seems I need a flange that'll be 5 or 6 inches tall.

I watched you tube videos of home made kilns but it seems you need to have a welder. Even the PID controller is expensive to buy. Sorry for the complaints.

2. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

I have a Neycraft JF2000 burnout kiln. You can find them used for an affordable price. I saw one in great condition sell for $350 on ebay a few weeks ago and paid 700 for mine open box. They will fit a 6" flask or multiple smaller ones.

The only budget conscious burnout kiln is going to be one you make out of clay in the ground. Check out Primitive Technology on youtube, he made several different style of kiln and they can all be used for a burnout. Assuming you have access to clay of course.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Look on Craigslist and Facebook there are frequently old kilns for sale or free. I got mine for $50. Even if elements are broken or missing they are easy to make or buy.

PIDs aren't expensive. 20 to 50 bucks tops.

Jason likes this.
  4. rocco

rocco Silver

5. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Flower pot on a propane burner, who would've thought something so simple could work. I'm going to try that

6. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I'll take a look at that channel. thanks

7. Bill W

Bill W Copper

I've been looking on CL. Nothing close by so far. I haven't seen a PID for that price. The units I've seen people recommend are the Cals controls 9500P. It costs around $350. Thanks. Seems the only way to save money is to be patient, which means my projects won't go anywhere anytime soon

8. rocco

rocco Silver

If you do, please report back to us.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I haven't had good luck with flower pots as melt out chambers. They crack under the heat and break apart.

theroundbug likes this.
  10. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

I figure that would happen. The concept seems workable though with some modifications. Propane cans are $4 where I am. Could probably hack something up with a thrift store file cabinet and some clay for not much money. Easier than building a primitive earth kiln at least.

11. jgro

jgro Copper

12. Jason

Jason Gold

13. Bill W

Bill W Copper

That unit in the ebay ad has a good price. Not sure how much shipping from NJ to CA would be. For burnout, doesn't the kiln need one of those controllers so the temp can match the burn out cycle in the literature of the Ultra vest? Thanks for the information and link

14. Bill W

Bill W Copper

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Found this online the other day :)

FB_IMG_1628998543953.jpg

Jason likes this.
  16. DaveZ

DaveZ Copper

Picked this up for $75. Econo kiln. Good shape, just need to update wiring.

Attached Files:

Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice score Dave.. Drop an Auber ramp and soak PID on it and it will be worth 500bucks over night! You can easily junk that kiln sitter or rip it off and shove it up on fleabay. Someone will buy it.

When I got my cat pizz kiln, I ripped all the wire out of it and bought new high temp wire. It's the same stuff they use for old school kitchen burners in stoves. I'll be dipped if I can remember the name of it, but I think it's fiberglass coated wire. Maybe someone here will chime in with the name for you. It's the only wire to rewire that kiln with. They get screaming hot on the outside in that wire box.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    DaveZ likes this.
  18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

If you twist the element back on itself so it doubles up then connect the power wire to it it cuts down on the heat transferred to the power wire.

Not sure the name of the insulated wire but it's necessary for sure.

Also tadpole tape is useful for sealing cracks and gaps. Even small gaps bleed out a lot of heat. I was very surprised that a small 1/4" gap lost 150 degrees of heat off the max temperature

DaveZ likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

20. DaveZ

DaveZ Copper

Zapins likes this.