Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Worked on the metal rack some more. Got the wheels on it finally. Will paint it next and install the wood floors at some point. But all welding is now done.

20210425_112203.jpg 20210425_112218.jpg 20210425_112233.jpg

Jason, Tobho Mott and DavidF like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Rack looks good! I've got those AvE stickers too. Remember, don't stick your fingie where ya dont stick your dingie!

3. It does look good, if I might suggest an impertinent modification: some downward facing bits of steel on the corners that just clear the concrete like outrigger feet so it can't tip very far before the steel bits touch the floor. The bottom three shelves extend past the wheels which could be a tipping hazard if you remove something heavy on the opposite side balancing the load.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Will consider it though the outriggers block movement quite a bit too.

I got a lot done today. I put 2 washers in my cross slide and removed a lot of slop. Its very tight now minimal play only a bit from the wear on the lead screw. I also managed to adjust the cross slide so the wheel is much smoother now. Its a pleasure to use. I used to fight to move the handle. Turns out it was just over tightened onto the ways.

Also set up my sharpening rig to bench grinder (after owning it for over 5 years now) and I ground my first hss lathe bit ever!! It worked very well. Very happy.

Also did some boring for the first time made an inverted cone shape. Still need to figure out how to continue the cone to the end and leave it a sharp V shape... the boring bar butts into the work piece.

I found that there's a lot of flex in both the chuck/main spindle and also a lot of slipping on the original leather belts which looses a lot of power from the motor. I can swap the belts out for link belts no problem but what about the chatter I get when making cuts? I'm not sure how to adjust or stiffen up the main spindle or maybe the base plate and chuck? The jaws seem tight on the work piece and when I shove the chuck side to side I don't see a lot or any movement so maybe the base plate isn't solid in some way?

Anyway pics or it didn't happen.

20210427_113340.jpg 20210427_113404.jpg 20210427_113440.jpg

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I had great difficulty machining this inverted cone shape. The tool kept bumping into the walls as I tried to get the last bit at the bottom. I ended up hand shaping it with my dremel and carbide cone burrs. Is there an easier way to do this?

20210428_103820.jpg

6. Jason

Jason Gold

smaller tooling? They make some pretty tiny boring bars.

Zapins likes this.
  7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Depending on the exact angle you could finish the point with a countersink or tapered carbide router bit (in aluminum).

Pete

Zapins likes this.
  8. Clay

Clay Copper

Tapers are one of my biggest challenges, I've used boring bars and they worked for me until the holes got too small, at which point I would grab a piece of HSS (largest and longest the lathe will handle) and ground it for finishing the bore. With the key being leaving myself a good starting point from where I left off with the boring bar. Rigidity is all in the size of the HSS and capability of the lathe coupled with speed and feed rates. Belt tension seems to be the first to show its ugly face wishing I had a geared head lathe but end up with new bushings and tightening my machine up. Finish is a direct reflection of my tool grinding abilities.

Zapins likes this.
  9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

The belt is original leather with the metal joints. I think it stretched out a bit so I can't tension it anymore than it is.

I was reading that some people use an adjustable link v belt backwards. Some people use serpentine belts from cars. Not sure the best option. But I have to do something about it since I'm losing a lot of power due to slipping.

10. Weren't leather belts slipping considered normal?, like you had a stick of rosin or some aerosol can of belt spray handy?.

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

No idea. First I'm hearing of spray.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Belts don't squeak they are polished smooth and slide all over the wheels. I found a black block of something on the lathe that I wonder if it is for the belt or if its some kind of polish compound. Looks a bit gross though

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Having never screwed with belts except for tying up hookers and whores, I'd imagine, you want them soft and supple like.... never mind.:oops:
    Or sticky?? Fire off something to Chirpy on youtube, he's got a shop full of that old school stuff.

15. You can get a block of rosin, either for violin bows, or for rock climbers, or for rodeo lassos and rub it on the leather belt for better grip. Should be an amber to black substance that shatters easily and a bit fragile, especially as it gets older. According to this discussion link: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/slipping-belt-10l-128041/ it seems polishing a flat belt pulley also helps improve grip

[​IMG]

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/crc-crc-belt-grip-400g/1444.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thanks I'll pick some up before shelling out for new belts. It would be cheaper to just use the spray if it works well.

I'd also like to get a live center. I think I've got a jacobs #3 but all I can find is MT3 shank live centers. How do I adapt them or what is the best way to get a live center for my tail stock?

17. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What make/ model was the lathe??

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Southbend 13" tool room " O"

19. DavidF

20. DavidF

There is a place that sells a plastic backed leather belt ( with other fabrics in it also) that is glued together. I've been running one on my lathe for 20 plus years now.
    Just need to remember where I got it from.