Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Clay likes this.
  2. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I'm running a link belt in place of the leather belt on my 10" SB lathe. Works great. For the first little bit you have to adjust the tension frequently but once the belt gets settled in it's good. I suspect that's true for any new belt.

Clay likes this.
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Finally got the flower beds fenced in and safe from the dogs which kept digging it and running around on it...

Next line of business is to run water pipes for sprinklers then plant everything. 20210508_193614.jpg 20210508_202656.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

You beds look really nice. My dogs trash my flower beds. They’re relentless squirrel-chasers and diggers. And whatever they don’t wreck the deer take care of.

Pete

Zapins likes this.
  5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Worked more on veg beds. Ran out of soil. Will need to get more. Managed to sort out most of the sprinklers.

Man this stuff is so time consuming. Seriously nutty amount of time. I spent 4 hours today reinforcing the flower bed, putting a few sprinkler heads in and adding soil to the 5th bed. Can't believe how the time flew.

20210513_203237.jpg 20210513_203242.jpg

6. DavidF

But once it's done your good to go for a few years.... except for the weeding.... weeding sucks....

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Look at it this way , your vegetables will taste better than the ones I buy at the store

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I hope they do! I've basically spent my vegetable budget for the next several years lol. Not sure if it was worth it for the $$ but for the fun probably.

Weeding is going to suck. I might just kill weeds off over winter by putting a double tarp down over the beds to black out everything. Seems like it should work, at least in my head....

Jason likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah it's never cheaper that's for sure. My sister is now up to 50chickens and her price of eggs would have to be 9bucks a dozen probably to break even.. But her eggs are amazing. What a difference from store bought. I get my usual 2dozen when I make trips to florida. Now THOSE are some expensive eggs!

Zapins likes this.
  10. DavidF

It does work. But weeds.... well they're weeds and do what weeds do...

Zapins likes this.
  11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I'm hoping it tastes better. I want to grow local varieties that still have flavor rather than box store crap that looks perfect but has no taste

Jason likes this.
  12. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I cover my bed with straw to keep the weeds down. Especially the tomatoes once they are planted. Straw keeps the rain from splashing the soil diseases onto the foliage. It usually lasts two years and then till it in to add fluff to the soil.

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Took a break from garden today. I went to the scrap yard and found 5 or 6 oxygen concentrator machines (bought one to see if I can fix it up for a small torch build).

Then found a really cool old 1940s desk fan. I took it apart cleaned everything and sand blasted the old rusty paint off. Repainting it now. I think it would be a nice addition to my south bend lathe from the same time period.

Bought it all for $5 from the scrap yard. I just love that place. Like Christmas

20210514_171312.jpg 20210514_220039.jpg

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

That's cool. I love old fans. This GE of mine lives on the work bench and oscillates. Great for providing a breeze.
    The art deco styling on your fan might even put it in the late 30's. In addition, the less safety bars would be older too.

20150726_171706.jpg

Zapins likes this.
  15. rocco

rocco Silver

Unlikely, the label says it's a 60Hz device, back in the 30's the frequency on the electrical grid in much of North America was 25Hz, the grid wasn't standardized to 60Hz until after WW2.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_frequency#Standardization

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Jason likes this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

No shit? I didnt know that. Thanks, that's awesome.

17. rocco

rocco Silver

I think that's something a lot of people aren't aware of, I would likely be one of them too except that when I was a kid, I knew some old people that liked to tell stories, occasionally, I would actually listen and I remember hearing stories about the conversion to 60 Hz, apparently it was a pretty big deal at the time.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Finished the restoration. Works great.

I might go back and spray the polar cub branding back on it later.

I also added a ground to it juuust incase... didn't have one on the original.
    20210515_172117.jpg 20210515_172059.jpg 20210515_163637.jpg

19. rocco

rocco Silver

Looks great too, good job!

Jason likes this.
  20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I’ll bet it was a big deal. It likely rendered a lot of equipment obsolete. Imagine if something like that happened now.

Pete