Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

By 2035, you'll own nothing and will be happy. Not my words, but this is where all this is going.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I get you, more of a stop gap measure though since there are 3 months to go, I haven't started searching for places to buy and closing in under 3 months is a long shot. Also don't know if I'll be working there for ages since the contract is 1 year. So I'll go ahead and rent for the first year then look to buy next year if the job is good and I can stay there long term. That way I still get the tax benefit from having my primary address in Tennessee. It will be nice to have a small rental place to stay on my on weeks. I think the tax savings is 6% of income if I live in TN as a primary address.

I've got to say I've been pretty impressed with rural king so far. Seems like a good place to buy stuff at a good price. They even had apricot trees for sale (presents for my mother).

3. rocco

rocco Silver

That's bit of an under understatement! My family is in the process of selling my Dad's house, our situation is not exactly typical but we've had a buyer lined up since February, the price is agreed upon, deal signed, the financing is in place and yet, for reasons beyond our control or the buyer's control, the closing has been delayed by more than two and half months and the current closing date we have is tentative at best, at this point, it all depends on the pencil pushers at the local land registry office.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Did I miss something? Is your job making you work outta town zap??

Rocco, my family just sold another house down in florida. You should see the goofy shit buyers are doing there. They are writing these BS SAPPY ASS letters to sellers. What a fk-n joke to stoop so low you feel the need to write out your pathetic life story and why we should accept your offer. When this last house we had went up on the market, we had a ton of offers, we countered by raising the price and said CASH ONLY! The deal was done in less than 45days. Cash talks, bs walks.

Funny how fast you can close when the buyer is paying cash. Last thing they wanna do is wait for some title company to get off their lazy ass. The covid excuse is beyond worn out these days.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  5. rocco

rocco Silver

Fortunately, we haven't had to deal with any of that sort of BS from potential buyers. Our buyer is a stand up guy, he is in no way responsible for the delays and has repeatedly demonstrated that he is committed to completing the purchase. Like I said earlier, our situation is not typical and I won't go into the details but the problems are being caused a combination of lawyers, surveyors and local civil servants.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

It's hard these days to find anyone who want to do their JOB!

7. rocco

rocco Silver

Part of the problem is, some of the people who didn't do their job properly, f'ed 30+ years ago so the people now are trying figure out exactly what happened all those years ago and make those old mistakes right and until that's done to everyone's satisfaction, we can't close. It's happening just not nearly as quickly as we'd like.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

That suxs...

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah closing sucks. I miraculously closed in just over 3 months on my current house but there were no issues at all.

I'm not moving but I want to have the option of being able to sleep over near my work if needed and also the taxes in Tennessee are lower than if you live there than Virginia. So I might as well take advantage of that.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Find some girl to shack up with, Much Cheaper! Now is not the time to buy anything unless it's a steal! Give it a year, I bet it will be a buyers market bigtime! With inventory way down, interest rates on the rise, materials in orbit, it's not sustainable. Last month the prediction of new housing starts was a drop of 1.7%. It ended up being a drop of almost 20%!:eek: Kinda like that 8% inflation we have right now.o_O But dont worry, It's just transitory.:rolleyes:

11. rocco

rocco Silver

I can see interest rates going up considerably in the next year or two, all of those people that are maxed out at the current rates are going to be totally screwed the next time they have to renew their mortgage and they're going to be desperate to sell so that's good time for buyers.

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Just like the 08 housing mess, those that dont see this coming are either blind or completely ignorant. I had a long talk with an appraiser in 09, I asked how on earth could you write these insane numbers knowing damn and good and well the houses weren't worth the money. He said If I didnt, no one would use me to write appraisals. It was the perfect storm.

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

My peoples I've been gardening recently. Planted lots of veggies. They are growing slowly. So I fertilized them today with miracle gro. Will see if it helps speed up growth. Or maybe I'm just impatient. I want my dang tomatoes! I also made a Dutch hoe to rip weeds. Will post pics after paint dries.

20220605_191150.jpg 20220605_191354.jpg 20220612_115126.jpg 20220612_115212.jpg

Tobho Mott, dtsh and Jason like this.
  14. YohaGrost

YohaGrost Lead

Now time's come for my story. I've been living in a small flat for 16 years. And I can't say it was a really big and convenient accommodation.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gotta work with what you've got! I used to live in an apartment too.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  16. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

im so envious of the amount of outside space you guys have there in the states. Outside space is at a premium here in the uk and costs a fortune. Im lucky I live in wales which is is much cheaper than most of the UK so Im able to afford a bit, but nowhere near the amount you guys can get for normal amounts of money.

If those are leekes you have there, I think you have left them too late. I believe they are at their best before they flower.

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Land is pretty affordable especially in my area. Some places are 2000 to 4000 an acre.

They are some type of onion. The bulb isn't very high so its either the wrong type for my area or they are a small variety. They seem to have overwintered well though. I'm collecting seed.

18. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

pretty sure they are leaks.
    They are our national vegetable :). They dont grow a swollen bulb like an onion. We cut it up into cylinders along its length including the green bit. Its a very nice veg.

leaks.jpg

We use it in a welsh dish called cawl. Which is a kind of meat and veg broth.

cawl.jpg

On St Davids Day (wales' patron saint) The younger school children would dress in national costume, and the boys wore a leak and the girls a daffodil (our national flower). Dont think its done so much these days.
    Is the fence to keep the dogs off the crops or the neighbours?

19. YohaGrost

YohaGrost Lead

There were 5 of us, so it was rather hard to live together because we only had 2 rooms. And, you know, I'd never believe that one day I'll be able to buy myself a big house with a fruit garden. So, now I'm 23, and 2 years ago, my dream came true. I have a friend who helped me with Mortgage Advice Lincoln, so eventually, I bought the house for my family. I'll pay it off in 2035, and I think it's quite good conditions because I know a lot of worse deals. So, I'm living my happy life now, we have orange trees in our garden. I'm living my best life.

20. Adi11aQ

Adi11aQ Lead

Where is the most affordable housing nowadays?