Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

It's BS zap...

2. I wonder whether it’s a good time at all to buy a house? The prices are rising, but there’s no hope they will fall soon, so it seems better to take action now than wait. I have some savings, which would be enough to buy a house in my area. Not a big one but a good one.
    And I think whether I am not making a mistake. Maybe I will overpay if I buy a house now. Not sure what to do. I asked Surveying Services In The North East for help, and they will help me choose a good house with minimal defects, so I don’t have to spend too much money to repair the house. Also, they will help me understand whether the price is right.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

JFC... Buy the house, In Costa Rico, you should able to get a couple of cardboard boxes for 20bucks. DO IT ALREADY!:rolleyes:

4. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Thank you for that valuable information. Im flying to the US right now to seek the services of Surveying Services In The North East and hope they will take my money and get me a nice house. How can I ever thank you? Can I send you lots of money as a good will gesture?

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

OMFG.. where do these people come from?

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ahh I see. Parasites. Sigh.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

Yeah sure smells like a parasite to me too! Two of his four posts contain links to finance related services that are only slightly related to the topic of the thread. Apologies for the baseball metaphor but that's two strikes, one more and I think we should get him out of here.

Jason likes this.
  8. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

According to the profile its a female and she also has a wife, as mentioned in one of her posts

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Dump her/it/they or Fking them if that is what they want.

10. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Why wait. Pretty obviously a spammer scammer and a not very talented one at that. Uggh.

Denis

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  11. I believe the answer is that (many) people are not buying. Others are paying in cash and ignoring every possibility www.youngandthrifty.ca has to give. Everyone is in a panic. Every day, someone posts on my city's subreddit about how they keep getting outbid on houses. The only good news is that many people are selling because it is such an excellent time to sell, but everyone is looking to buy a house right now. It can't stay forever, but it stinks to wait and waste money on a rental. I swear the new normal will be living with your parents while you save up $500k for a down payment on a house.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

The next property over from me is worth 15 to 18k for the land. The building is rotting and falling down. A realtor bought the property for 15k and tried to sell it to me for 31k. Not to mention the house likely has asbestos and lead in it. So tearing it down will probably cost 10k and interest on it over the loan would be 12 k. All in all around 50k is what she's asking for a plot of land. Lol. She turned down my 21k offer as we are about to enter a housing market downturn and high interest rate time. I think she made a bad decision.

Jason likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a dumb realtor.

Zapins likes this.
  14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Still building this wall. Finally finished digging it by hand. Put the fabric down. Gonna start adding crusher run gravel now. Then level and tamp it all out then put a few stones in for the base. Thats all I'll probably get to today.
    20221105_215043.jpg
    20221106_122317.jpg 20221106_133704.jpg

Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

Hard work keeps ya humble!:oops:

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Right back at ya Jason the digger!

Got the crusher run in. Now the obligatory run to hardware store for parts I thought I had but turned out I didn't. Then back to wall.
    20221106_150931.jpg

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

This still strikes me as weird. The gravel (crusher run) is inside the fabric wrapping. And the drainage pipe sits on top of the crusher run. Its just weird because the crusher run is full of sand and dust and crap and then the fabric is trying to keep out mud and silt from the soil from getting into the washed drainage rock on top.

Also, the drainage pipe is high up so the crusher run would always be saturated with water before it fills up into the drainage pipe on top. Whats to stop the crusher run from fouling the drainage pipe? Whats to stop the foundation from frost heaving when it freezes solid?

Or maybe I'm thinking about this wrong?

Retaining-Wall-Behind-Drainage-Diagram.jpg

18. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I had a 12' tall wall put in professionally and this is how they did it.
    The dead man was geotextile weave that went back 12' every three courses of block.
    IMG_4872.jpg

19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

See that makes more sense. Isolating the drainage rock and pipe from the crusher run. Well I guess we will see what happens.

20. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

That diagram looks very wrong to me.
    I use a concrete footing to build a wall onto. I can't see how loose gravel is rigid enough.
    The pipe is too high and would not collect water as the water would flow down through the gravel and under the wall fluidizing that layer and making the wall even more unstable.
    When I built a wall the bottom of the pipe was at the same level as the footing. Something like this

wall_retainer.gif