Casting steel anvils

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Mark's castings, Mar 4, 2021.

1. An interesting video about a small foundry casting steel anvils:

Patrick-C likes this.
  2. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

You saw that? Wow small world! I was their third sub. It is a pretty interesting process. They have all kinds of equipment I want.:) It is amazing how fast their youtube channel has grown. Over one thousand subs with only five videos. I don't get it.o_O
    Patrick

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Interesting. Wouldn't it be nice to have an induction furnace? There's a place near me that pours cast iron using one. The owner gave me a tour of the facility. Quite cool. I gave him a hummingbird sculpture for helping me make mt wetsaw slabbing machine.

1000 homes of electricity? Maybe 1000 Australian homes.

4. I'd love to know what they use to cover the melt to stop it burning, according to accounts I've heard, steel will burn and form a foamy mass in the crucible if oxygen comes into contact with it.

Hmmm a lot of Aussie homes use airconditioning, non stop pool pumps etc. On the off chance I got lucky with a cheap induction furnace, I can draw up to 55 kilowatts from my power service after the house was rewired. That said I use about 10 KW/hours a day of energy, not that much. An induction furnace would be awesome to have.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  5. dennis

dennis Silver

Quote "I'd love to know what they use to cover the melt to stop it burning, according to accounts I've heard, steel will burn and form a foamy mass in the crucible if oxygen comes into contact with it."

Granulated coke? (Would add a small amount of carbon.)

6. The crucible steel makers in Sheffield used broken up green bottle glass which was a trade secret for the first steel maker there.

A lot of old films showing the steel casting process tap the crucible from the bottom to get clean metal, like this video at the 2:34 minute mark:

7. dennis

dennis Silver

Only thing those anvils need is dietrich102.gif
    on them!