Casting tin.

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Lee in Cornwall, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Hi all,
    I contacted a local craftsman to see if he would sell me some pewter. It seems to be in short supply at the moment. After swapping some emails he sent me this link which I hope to post here.

Lee

Chazza likes this.
  2. I just keep an eye out at secondhand stores and charity shops for pewter, recently bought a 3Kg ice bucket fairly cheap, so far I've accumulated nearly 6Kg of the stuff.

3. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Nice movie!

When I was boy I used to skin dry-cell batteries, which have tin skins under the cardboard. Filthy dirty job, but my small collection of small ingots, grew at a satisfactory pace,

Cheers Charlie

4. rocco

rocco Silver

The shell on dry cell batteries are made of zinc not tin.
    BTW, when I was a boy, I used to strip spent dry cells too but I stripped them for the carbons.

5. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Are they? Must be my dodgy memory.

What did you use the carbon for?

Cheers Charlie

6. rocco

rocco Silver

For a short time I was messing around with electrolysis, the carbons were the electrodes.

Chazza likes this.
  7. When I stripped the larger dry cell batteries it was to use the carbons as arc welding electrodes. They will even weld thin sheet (car body) metal using a 12v car battery as the power supply. Probably not recommended then or now.

8. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

GURGLE! How is pewter different from Babbit? I was looking up the formula and just KNEW I had seen it somewhere else....

I've been trying to see about making something similar to Babbit from Zinc. Not sure I know of any good sources of tin.