CNC Router Up & Running

Discussion in 'CNC machining projects' started by Al2O3, May 25, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Not the case any more. $1k or $2k to purchase + $350-$465/yr........which isn't going to work for me.

https://www.alibre.com/alibre-design-pricing/

Atom is $200 to purchase.......but per our last conversation, I don't believe atom will get me where I need to go. The feature set description for Atom isn't as detailed as the Professional packages. I'm not going to opt for the 30 day trial until I can devote the time to it which definitely isn't going to be available in the next couple weeks.

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Jeese! Solidworks want £3k for a new license from me, just can't put it to work to justify it right now.

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If it will allow boolean add, and extract geometry then it should still be do able...

I dont bother with the maint pkg. Every do often they have a special and I upgrade then..

4. DavidF

And the do break the cost into monthly payments if need be...

5. Al2O3

I've got the scratch, just not convinced I need to spend $2k and be tied to annual licensing fees to boot.

K

6. DavidF

There's no annual licensing fee...
    They offer a maintenance package, but I skip out on that one...
    Unless they changed something ???

7. DavidF

The expert is 1,161.00
    Professional 599.40
    Atom. 119.40
    You buy it, you own it....

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I was a legacy Alibre buyer and then upgraded when they would no longer support. I never got very proficient with it and did not need the CAM until I got my CNC mill. I then got by with the Mach3 wizzards compiling code directly. For the latest work I learned to use CAMBAM and then purchased it. Very generous trial and then $150 I think. All the software has the drawback for me of staying current and being able to quickly draw something up and then convert. Still Old School.

9. Al2O3

40% off?
    K

10. DavidF

11. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

Kelly,
    Download a copy of CamBam. 40 sessions before you buy for $149 and while it is CAM software it also has 2D drawing tools and is easy to use with a fantastic support forum where no one gives you any crap for asking questions. You mention your router uses GRBL. There are tons of useful plugins available for CamBam and one of them allows you to control a GRBL machine right from within CamBam! I am a SolidWorks user but for lots of simple stuff I use CamBam without making drawings.

For instance, lets say you just want to level the surface of your table. You could do that in CamBam by drawing 1 line the length of your table. Apply a Profile cut with the width of your table, the depth of cut, feed rate and diameter of the tool and you are done. Forget drilling, use the spiral drill function and drill all the holes the tool will fit into in one pass. I almost never cut air as a test unless I am trying to do something really trick.

12. Al2O3

Thanks Gary. It's on the list. Definitely will give it a try.

Best,
    Kelly

13. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I'm still a fan of Fusion360. Learning curve is steep. But worth it. I use it for 3d printing for my Plasma table, and CNC Router.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

The learning curve is steep with ANY of these cad programs. They attempt to shove SO MUCH SHIT into these, you spend more time looking for a tool or researching how to use it than actually drawing the damn thing. Figure around 2yrs for the average joe to get semi proficient and that's IF he screws with it everyday. Double that time if you are 60 and older.

15. DavidF

Fusion is a good cad and cam package. But my hang up with it is, you never really own it.
    Say what you want, but photobucket was once free too.
    With alibre you own it!!!

16. DavidF

Try alibre. Then get back with me. Lol

17. Al2O3

And that is very attractive. It's frustrating to be constantly bilked by software companies and putting up with revision changes that change functionality or things that impact you familiarity. It's their preferred business model but not mine!

I like what I have seen with Alibre so far and actually find a lot of similarities with Fusion. Having an integrate CAD?CAM package with post processing that supports my open source GRBL machine controller also matters......or rip that out and run Mach III or IV

Just going to have to work my way through the trial packages and make my selection.

Best,
    Kelly

18. DavidF

@Al2O3
    Post up a picture of what is (part wise) your thinking of making with cnc....
    :D

19. Al2O3

OK, I'll play but be careful what you ask for. There are many projects but here is a typical layout for a family carbureted and fuel injection manifolds.

Very similar to this plenum intake manifold except instead of the runners opening into the large plenum, remove the plenum skirt and apply carb flanges like in the sketch below.

Box1.jpg BOX4.JPG IMG_7323.JPG

I’d like to build a parametric solid model to allow the model to be built & updated,by the control parameters described below.
    1. The runners alternately and symmetrically nest and lay across the engine/intake valley.
    2. The center of the port windows in the intake flange connect to the carburetor opening centerlines via a cubic spline (preferred) or collection of several curves.
    3. The rectangular intake port window is driven along the spline transitioning from a round cornered rectangle to a circular cross section with a constant change in cross sectional area along the path of the spline.
    4. The length, width, and corner radius of the runner openings at the intake port window can be designated.
    5. A ¼” wall thickness is grown around the inside of the runner to form the outer runner wall and trimmed as necessary.
    6. The distance across the valley can be designated to accommodate different engines of different deck height. fro 8.2" to 9.5"
    7. The carb opening pattern can be biased forward and backward relative to the fixed port windows on the intake flange and the bank-to-bank centerline distance widened or narrowed.
    8. Disassemble the model into five pieces as shown on the sketch for CNC machining foam pattern.
    Want to model it for me and send me the GRBL compatible G-code file?

Best,
    Kelly

20. DavidF

It would take you longer to add the dimensions then it would for me to model it....
    GRBL, I do like the idea of it. But think it needs some more development to compete with mach or linux.....