Cold Weather Casting?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Tops, Dec 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Skratch

Skratch Silver

If the mold was covered somehow to contain the heat it would probably work good.

Tops likes this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Yeah, maybe even a bit of 1/8" (3mm) aluminum sheet painted black.

We're in for some weather the next few days, a bunch of snow tomorrow and then even colder. Currently -9°F or -23°C and not bottomed out yet. I broke down and shoved projects aside to get the daily driver in the garage to give it a fighting chance to start tomorrow.

Skratch likes this.
  3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Casting in winter is my favorite. Nice bonfire. No sweltering heat under all the protective clothing layers. I use a bath of hotish water to keep the propane cylinder from freezing over/dropping the pressure. Works well.

Tops likes this.
  4. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

There must be something really special about the part of the country that gets so damned cold in the winter. I've spent the last 68 years in the Mojave Desert. They planted me here when I was 12 years old.. I think it's really cold when my dogs water freezes a half inch thick.. She gets to sleep inside when it's that cold.. It's beginning to warm up a bit for the next couple weeks, into the mid 60s.. Funny, it'll still seem like Christmas even when its 65* degrees. Wish I could send some heat your way.. High temps will drop back into the mid 50s in January, maybe even into the mid 40s..
    Fredo

Tops likes this.
  5. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Today would be perfect for cold weather casting. Minus 8 degrees F, 25 mile an hour wind, and a couple inches of snow blowing around. It's Ohio so it will be 50 next week.

Perfect day to sit inside and watch casting videos. :D

Zapins and Tops like this.
  6. Tops

-12 F here this morning , winchill more than -40, blizzard warning (drifts and white-outs). Heard there are 15 to 20+ foot waves on all Great Lakes.

7. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

THIS AFTERNOON
    West gales to 45 knots becoming southwest and
    increasing to 50 knot storms. Heavy freezing spray. Snow. Waves
    18 to 23 feet building to 20 to 25 feet. Waves occasionally
    around 32 feet.

This is the forecast for Lake Erie on the east end near buffalo. :(:confused:o_O

Tops likes this.
  8. Tops

I think you and Pete might be getting it the worst.

9. rocco

rocco Silver

Right now, I'm about 60 miles from Buffalo near the west end of Lake Ontario, not a lot of snow here, only about an inch in the last 6 hours but the visibility here is near zero much of the time due to blowing snow, the wind are averaging around 240° 30G40kt. For you aviation buffs, here's the most recent report from the local airport weather station:
    SPECI CYHM 232009Z 23032G44KT 1/8SM R12/4500VP6000FT/U -SN BLSN VV016 M15/M18 A2920 RMK BLSN8 SLP902=

Tops likes this.
  10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Well the wind has settled down at least, and we only got a couple inches in the last 24 hrs where I live. Lake effect snow drops in narrow bands that shift north and south but always extend toward the east like fingers off the lake. So 25 miles north of me they’ve gotten over a foot of new snow. One thing that the whole region experienced though was a temp drop from the high 20’sF to near zero in approximately 2 hrs. According to the weather geeks, even though it may look calm now, the high winds and heavy snows are still in the cards and can appear any time. The whole region is under travel ban - I believe with very good reason.

Pete

11. Tops

Season's greeting to All Here!

We're supposed to be 2 degrees F today and only -19 F windchill!

Getting ready to make some conchas (Mexican sweet bread). Talked myself out of designing and casting a torilla press (just to make the topping layer) and settled on 3D printing some topping cutters to use by hand (rolling pin and waxed paper) off Thingiverse. Larger piece is approx. 1" (25mm) tall by 4" (100mm) round.

[​IMG]
    https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/what-are-conchas-mexican-breakfast-food

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4323710

thingiverse_concha_cutters.png

12. Tops

First time with the concha cutters. Pressed out the topping paste with the glass measuring cup and waxed paper and then hit them with the cutter.
    I am thinking a warmer kitchen, livelier dough, and a sharper cutter would yield a more rounded bun and more definition to the paste.
    Not disappointed :)

tops_conchas1.jpg tops_conchas2.jpg

Skratch and mytwhyt like this.
  13. Skratch

Skratch Silver

I've got to show this to my wife, I like cookies or pastries for breakfast muchies.

Tops likes this.
  14. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Nice part