Commercial Grade Hot Wire Foam Cutter

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by OCD, Jan 30, 2018.

1. OCD

OCD Silver

Jason, is this Simple Stupid enough for ya? :p

Finally finished off this little project of mine.

Correction within the video.
    The voltage regulator is actually a speed controller.
    When I purchased it I assumed it displayed the amount of volts passing through the controller.
    (E.g., 13v, 15v, etc.)
    It actually displays the level of capacity which the control is dialed into. (E.g., 100=100% / 75=75%, etc., etc.)

Special thanks to Petee716 for CNCing the backer plate.

Still have to fabricate the fence and other accessory attachments for cutting cone shapes and the likes.

Try not to laugh to hard. :D

Ejection Switch :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    _Jason and Jason like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

I love the smell of burning flesh in the morning. Impressive build John. The mig tip is a brilliant idea and probably lets you lean that sucker over pretty far....
    Did you find a cheapy fence for it?

3. OCD

OCD Silver

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Nah man... still feel like a thousand cans of smashed a-holes. Wife had an Aunt die 2hrs away and we had to make an appearance yesterday. When they broke out the rosary, we hit the door. I hate driving anymore after flying everywhere and to do it while sick really sucks.

That's some snazzy looking track. I have a router table my dad built that has a home made fence. I'd like to give it an upgrade. Funny how you can have the biggest POS saw, but slap a quality fence on it and suddenly you have a winner.

5. OCD

OCD Silver

Yeah, the fence makes a world of difference.

That, a good strong motor and a decent blade.

6. _Jason

_Jason Silver

You should put a digital voltage meter on there as well, since you know you want one and they're relatively inexpensive on eBay. That way you can see what percentage of the voltage you're using and what voltage that actually translates to.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

8. OCD

OCD Silver

And a 2 month shipping period. :eek:

Must be Snail Mail Express.

9. OCD

OCD Silver

Actually, with the existing controller it already gives you the amount of voltage your at with a little math division.

The transformer is a 19v unit and kicks out 7.5 amps max.

So, if the display is showing 30, your voltage will be 6.33 volts with 2.5 amps.

Hangernades and horseshoes. ;)

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice hot wire setup, I like the mig tip idea and how you can easily tighten up the wire once it stretches out a bit. Mine is all messed up, it got dripped on and the table warped, etc... Maybe I'll drag it back out and steal some of your ideas to fix it up a little; a good winter project...

Jeff

11. OCD

OCD Silver

I did some T slot extrusion digging today (net shopping) for the fence and runner tracks.
    Ended up finding all kinds of extrusion on EBay at decent pricing.

Just passing it along.