Cool Metal Videos!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Jason, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

We had a really good thread on AA that was a fantastic collection of Metal videos. Post your casting, welding, forging and any cool metal themed videos here for others to enjoy.

I'll kick it off with this forging video from Periscope films on yt. Periscope has a plethora of interesting videos of days gone by.

2. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Here is another great channel "oldfangled film"

oldironfarmer, Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What was that goo the guy in the video in post #2 was using to patch his mold with?

Here's one showing how loose corebox pieces can be used to make cores with negative draft.

And one showing loose pattern pieces and being used to mold cast iron light poles with negative-drafted details near the parting line (as explained by a marketing vp). Also a decent visual of the use of chaplets to support a core.

Jeff

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Some of you have seen this.... Black Hills Bronze didn't make it, but they turn casting into a religious experience. lol
    The music alone will make you want to cast something!

amber foundry likes this.
  5. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Jason here is a must watch video for you about casting a horses head in sand instead of using the lost wax method. You need really good sand to pull this of.

amber foundry, Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

The amount of labor on that head is incredible! :eek: Thank god for modern tools and materials. ;)

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

So is the sand! Watching him drive those nails with no cracks or displacement is amazing.

8. rocco

rocco Silver

At the opposite end of the spectrum, here's a guy that really doesn't know what he's doing but gets it done anyways, kind of fun to watch, I think many of us can probably relate.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

I couldn't make it through 5mins of watching that mess. Reminds me of the grant shitshow minus the editing.

10. rocco

rocco Silver

I disagree, this guy isn't at all the arrogant know-it-all that grant was.

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. He does have that going for him:) The real issue lies with the massive audiences that take this stuff as gospel. The comments show ignorance on a near pandemic scale.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  12. spelter

spelter Copper

German video from the sixties, floor molding decorative stove panel in cast iron. (Pre-OSHA):

Bonus, casting a giant cement planter in cement using sweeps. Vietnam I think. Lots of application to bell work:

13. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Here is another cool video from periscope films. Does anyone know what these cores are for at 7.55

14. Glass engraving using lathe mounted copper wheels and grit paste.

15. metallab

metallab Silver

I found this video:

This guy has lots of interesting chemical videos, and I found one where he uses an induction furnace which heats metal up to 1700 C. He alloyed stainless steel and then picked a lot of metals from his elemntal collection and melted them together. Not all metals dissolved as turns out at the end of the video. Did he really try to find sci-fi alloys like Unobtanium of Vibranium ?

16. metallab

metallab Silver

Another one: a guy recovering platinum metal from exhaust catalysts.

He used lead to extract the Pt metal which did not work very well, which I expected. Pt does not dissolve in Pb. Later on he used copper which works much better.
    Btw, he used a refractoryless furnace, just a few Kaowool blankets wrapped around the crucible leaving space allowing swirling the flame.