diy clay molds for low pressure aluminum casting

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by thomas o'brien, Jan 14, 2021.

1. has anyone seen these kind of molds used by home foundries in america?

pouring is 9:00 in

they look fragile (when lifted off the casting every one i have seen is very very gentle) they look like clay molds with lots of graphite brushed on and then the outside is coated with rough refractory of some kind.

would really like to try this with a few patterns but not sure what that material on the inside is

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    dtsh likes this.
  2. It could also be grey "Ciment Fondu" on the outside, which is a high strength, high temperature cement based on calcium aluminate that modern dense castable refractories are made from. The inside finish would have to be carefully treated to avoid damage to the surface.

thomas o'brien likes this.
  3. there are definitely a few layers of material it looks like, at least 3 (refractory, clay, graphite) I have seen some with orange, grey and dark black clay at the top where the pour spout is and one video where it chipped off almost like sand. the outside looks kind of like some firebricks i made with 80% pearlite and 20% leftover refractory i had when building my furnace. they withstand insane heatshocks and haven't cracked yet.

4. rocco

rocco Silver

That's an interesting video, low tech die casting of sorts, more interesting by far would have been one showing the mold being made.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Happen to have any pictures of those bricks Thomas? Another member here was inquiring about Perlite refractory mix for insulating layer in a furnace build. Was wondering whether you needed to wet the Perlite before mixing with the refractory and any tricks to minimize damaging Perlite during mixing. Was the brick strength comparable to IFB?

Best,
    Kelly

6. i will get some photos tomorrow in the shop. I have some that are almost as dense as the walls of the furnace (50/50 mix i think) and my plinth(i think thats what its called) is about 80% pearlite mixed with scrap leftover 3200 degree refractory that was used on the walls. they are very light, i only tried to get all the pearlite wetted by the refractory then packed them in wooden boxes for molds. it was mixed with a hoe in a concrete tub. the pilth was packed in the bottom of a plastic mixing bucket for epoxy. I didnt think the 80% ones would hold together at all but they seem really solid after years of having them.

still looking for the video factory tour of the mold shop.... its gotta be on youtube somewhere. need to translate the videos to see if i can figure out what the molds are called exactly. they all seem to get them out ASAP after pouring, i suspect they would break if the casting cooled on the mold.

7. the bricks are as strong as normal red bricks. i have dropped them a few times with no damage, they are hard shell (pearlite is encased in the cement and 100% grey) the plinth has taken the force of an oil burner at least 50 times and shows no sign of deterioration.

8. Al2O3

Well that is of great interest because the subject of Perlite came up frequently at the AA forum. It did well in lower temperature regions but always ended poorly when exposed to high heat, melting into a green glass and fluxing everything. Perlite melts at about 2300F which is well within reach of most fuel fired furnaces but it starts softening around 1600F and expands a lot (like 10x) on its way to the melt point.

If you have a dense refractory hot face between the Perlite brick and furnace interior I could see how the temps may be lower for the brick but I'd think a plinth in a furnace with an good oil burner would get a good thermal work out........above 2300F.

Best,
    Kelly

9. My first experimental furnace was based on the Backyard Metal Casting refractory of fireclay, silica sand, cement and perlite. I found once I got up to orange heat, just barely enough to melt brass, the refractory turned into a foamy green mass as the perlite melted and fluxed the other material. This would have been about 900 deg C or 1650 deg F as that's about when brass melts. I think the website mentions the same problem once their furnace gets a bit of heavy use.

perlite refractory.jpg

10. Al2O3

That's even worse then I thought. When you say cement, what kind of cement?

Best,
    K

11. Plain, common old portland cement powder.

12. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

That is some cool, low-tech permanent molds.....

13. here are photos of it I used Unicast 65QS refractory (it was supposed to be good to 3200 degrees) all the chunky bits are pearlite. I don't know what the ratio was. I dumped a bag in the leftover refractory and made sure all the pearlite was wetted down then packed it in the molds to make some extra bricks.

IMG_5631.jpg IMG_5632.jpg IMG_5633.jpg IMG_5632.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021