Do you measure metal temperature and how ?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by metallab, Oct 31, 2020.

1. dennis

dennis Silver

Here's something: http://www.clay-king.com/pyrometer.htm

Scroll down a ways, and there's a nice analog pyrometer (the meter part) at a decent price. Just get a Mifco probe, and the stuff to connect it up. (Note that the meter runs out of steam at or near bronze temps... fine for Al or Zn, though...

2. metallab

metallab Silver

Weird that these are all type K ones. Am I really the only using the (hotter) type S ? For me S is very reliable.

3. rocco

rocco Silver

Under most circumstances using what a lot of of other people are using, as long as it's adequate for your needs, just makes sense. For the vast majority of processes, especially non-casting ones, K-type is adequate so it seems to have become be a standard of sorts.
    A number of years ago, I picked up a large roll of K-type wire, it was part of an auction lot of stuff at a decommissioned oil refinery. The purchaser of the lot had no need for it so he gave it to me as partial payment for helping him move his stuff. So, since I've got a free lifetime supply of the stuff, for me using anything other than K-type, when it will do the job, would make no sense.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

SO this is what I got from Mifco.

Whats this end made out of? Am I going to break this the first time out the gate?
    thumbnail_20201203_185236.jpg

20201203_185241.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    John Homer likes this.
  5. dennis

dennis Silver

I recall reading somewhere that Mifco uses an inconel sheath.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

SO maybe just the tip (and only for a minute) could be graphite? Something made this black crap on the cardboard.

7. dennis

dennis Silver

No,that looks like heat-induced discoloration. At least it does to Me.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

closer inspection.. it's all metal.
    16070438151674025619842290596755.jpg

John Homer likes this.
  9. dennis

dennis Silver

Good to see a picture of a Mifco probe. I gots the "I-want-ums" for one of them.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Impressive. I stuck some thermocouple wire on it and plugged it in. Remind again we you guys screw with an ohm meter??

20201203_191325.jpg

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, I've wanted to try one for awhile, I'm a cowboy when it comes to melting my bronze. I go for it and watch for the swirl on the surface. I do believe that method works well, but hard to explain it to guys. I had the home made graphite version before. It would work a couple of times then get stupid. I think this was probably worth the money.

12. dennis

dennis Silver

Life tends to hae enough aggravation to not want to add to it more than necessary.

JBC and Jason like this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

PRECISELY! Its important to pick your battles wisely.

JBC likes this.
  14. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

here is my video, on the pyrometer I use on a Mifco probe, the most imprtant thing is to protect the wires, by putting those ceramic beads on the probe inside a metal tube you protect it very well , you just dont want the heat getting too far up from the probe tip,

if you start getting flaky measurements, the first thing to check is actually the plug going into the meter , those little yellow plugs are crap, and if you leave it plugged in, it will mess up the contacts inside your meter(constant pressure to one side)

V/r HT1

BattyZ, John Homer and Jason like this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

I wonder what the significance of storing it down does to them?

16. dennis

dennis Silver

The plating on the plugs and receptacles dislike each other?

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Nah it probably weakens the spring tension inside the meter. Again, the chinese still haven't quite fingered out metallurgy and rubber technology.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Henry, I used the probe tonight for the first time. Yup, I've beem pouring about 100 degrees to hot. I will say that thing worked like a champ!
    Now whats the story with the bronze that stuck to it? Will it just melt off next time?

HT1 likes this.
  19. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Did you preheat it in the vent gas before immersing it? It helps not only with reducing metal adhesion but also longevity of the probe.......reduces exposure to molten metal contact. Also, graphite coating it before use also significantly helps both.

Best,
    Kelly

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Telling you. A pyrometer is just the dog's bullocks. You'll never want to eye ball it again. Big increase in reproducibility of castings.

BattyZ and dennis like this.