doing cast Iron, also a wood turner?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by HT1, Nov 29, 2020.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Billy Elmore and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Some time in the 1970's they were demolishing the old San Francisco railroad shops and I found these in what was left of the pattern shop. The largest is 14 1/2 " and I believe it is for a cable car because of the size although the street cars also used a single light. The same could be said of the 9 1/2 " pattern. They were probably rejects since they were left in the shop, but still nice work. I found these before I started casting.

IMG_20201129_092848.jpg

3. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I found some old wooden gear patterns on craigslist this morning. They just wanted 1700$ for them.LMAO

4. rocco

rocco Silver

I don't get it, with the possible exception of other foundries and maybe guys like us, what's the market for used foundry patterns? Post-industrial art pieces maybe??

Billy Elmore likes this.
  5. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

That is what they were saying in the ad I saw...would make a great art piece. I could not see that as art...Im biased though...partly because they reminded me of a pattern I used to hate.LOL

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

yes appearently there is some sort of market for old wood patterns as ART, something easily identifiable like a large gear would be neat in the mancave, but not $1700 neat

V/r HT1

Billy Elmore likes this.
  7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I remember DavidF posted a pic on AA a few years ago of a scene from Star Trek where a large (and obvious to anyone here) foundry pattern was used as part of a wall on the Enterprise set. To anyone unfamiliar with foundry patterns, it must have just looked like space age plumbing. :D

Jeff

Billy Elmore and DavidF like this.
  8. rocco

rocco Silver

The search function over at AA still works, I found it.
    Star Trek foundry pattern..jpg

Billy Elmore, Tobho Mott and DavidF like this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

I can never find anything at AA. Someone put that poor site out of it's misery or turn the lights back on.

Nick Lazenby likes this.
  10. rocco

rocco Silver

Somebody really should do something, poking around the site, I get the sense that if someone who knew what they were doing got the appropriate level of access, it wouldn't take much to get it working properly.

BTW, if it helps, these are the search parameters I used.
    Screenshot_2020-12-02.jpg

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Therein lies the problem. Richard et al don't have the privileges. Only the AWOL leader does. :-(

12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Nice core prints sticking out and all. I didnt know they were using redboard back then....or is it just painted?

13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks like Red KinCote to me.

K

Billy Elmore likes this.
  14. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Looks like it still has the White mark on it where the serial/lot number would go.