finally my first bell

Discussion in 'Metal casting projects' started by vincent, Feb 2, 2021.

1. vincent

vincent Silver

I have not had time to sort out my photos yet, hope to get to it the end of next week but here is the finished first bell, I made my own bell metal, 79% copper 21% tin, final weight is 13.5 kgs base width 260mm
    Bell1grapessignature.jpg bell1grapes.jpg

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'll be very interested to see the pictures! Congratulations, it looks great!

Pete

3. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Very nice

4. rocco

rocco Silver

That's very impressive, especially for a first attempt, great job!! How does it sound?

5. vincent

vincent Silver

Thanks, but probably more arse than class! (Aussie slang i think)
    The pour went really well right up till i assume the crown started to fill, and it started spitting and farting metal everywhere but I just kept pouring even though it was overflowing! any suggestions why this would happen, was it because I was pouring too fast or some other reason, to give some idea this is the vents and sprue setup crown.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The main sprue probably should have entered the bottom of the bells rim so the trapped air could be pushed up and out without burping out the melt. As you have it gated now it probably filled the top surface of the bell trapping air in the lower section.

7. vincent

vincent Silver

Gee I am ahead of time, I have thrown some pics of the process I went through, I am actually making two bells at the same time so some pictures are of the second bell which I hope to cast tomorrow.
    https://stonevahestate.tripod.com/bells/

8. vincent

vincent Silver

Bells seem to be traditionally molded using this method so I doubt that is the problem, I am really starting to think as the bell fills the metal flow needs to slow, I am a few hours away from my second bell so I might get a better idea.

9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Yeah...the pour must be much slower or you will do just as David suggested. The vents do not let air out if they have metal blocking them. I cast mine from the top with no vent and the bottom without a vent. Failed twice with vents. Top is easier but bottom seems to be superior quality cosmetically and..has a better ring to it...just my opinion.

10. vincent

vincent Silver

Finished mounting the bell today, it has consumed much more time than expected but I think it was worth it.

I sand cast all fittings, the bottom post collar weighed heaps it just about emptied my brass scrape box

11. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Way to go Vin! Yup, it's usually a lot more work than we think!
    Nice work.

Pete