First Furnace 18” Dia. 26” in tall MIZZOU and 2700F K-Wool

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Alexander Madsen, Apr 23, 2022.

1. First Furnace 18” Dia. 26” in tall MIZZOU and 2700F K-Wool

I am finishing my first furnace. It is a bit overkill, but I wanted expansion capability to A20 size cast iron. This has been a 3-year adventure. I got sidetracked learning to weld during covid. Fired the MIZZOU refractory today.

Outside Diameter: 18”
    Inside diameter: 12”

Wall construction:
    1/8” Mild steel double fillet weld
    1.5” 2700 F K-Wool
    1” MIZZOU
    Satanite surfaces finish (To Do)

Floor:
    1.5” Perlite & MIZZOU
    1.5” 3000F insulated fire brick (To Do)

Top:
    4” Dia Vent
    1.5” 2400 F K-Wool
    2” MIZZOU

Attached Files:

RX320B and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. clehn8ok

clehn8ok Lead

Hi Alexander,

the furnace, and also the welds look very good, especially, since you just learned welding.

How big is your burner tube? will it be diesel fired?

I have a bit headache about your lid design, since the steel wire will contract and expand with the heat, and maybe destroy the mizzou casting -> keep us updated on the lid condition.

Regards Christoph

3. Christoph

Thank you for the feedback. I have been enjoying the welding. Much of the furnace is tig welded.

The current burner is a 1" propain 125k BTU. I have a 3" oilburner nozel for when the propain no longer gets the job done.

I too am a little worred about the re-bar. We shall see.

Alex

4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

It looks great, and heavy. It looks like you were fortunate enough to have access to a commercial environment to fabricate it. I like your choice of refractory materials as well. Well thought out and executed.
    I built a triangular base for mine so I can move it although I don’t move it often. Im a big fan of the 3-points-of-contact strategy. I open my lid by means of a pivot so when I positioned the furnace in the frame I was careful to make sure the weight of the lid wouldn’t tip the furnace. I bolted the lift/pivot mechanism to the empty shell before installing refractory because of the thinness (and stainless steel) of the keg, but that 1/8 mild steel will give you plenty of meat to weld to. I’ll be interested to see your lid lifting.
    05AF010C-4BEC-4DBA-A9EB-2966C47A3939.jpeg

Pete

5. I like the tripod idea. I think I will do 6 points. 3 castors and 3 leveling jacks.