Foaming at the Mouth

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Ted Brown, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Ted Brown

Ted Brown Copper

Over the last year, I have tried about everything in aluminum casting. Mold using Sand, green Sand, Petrobond, CO2, Lost PLA, and Lost Wax, and I didn't know what I didn't know. I got one usable casted part out of a lot of tries as some defect, etc keep it from coming together. Using my 3D printer, I was able to make perfect forms, but the casting was my issue.

The purpose of my interest is to make throttle body tops on my Corvair EFI kits instead of using welded steel parts. Having parts made from a CNC was out of the question due to cost and I was thinking of a few other projects too.

I stumbled across Kelly's Youtube channel on lost foam and I am ALL IN. I made some foam test parts the other day and they turned out really well (I was impressed with myself). These parts are not useable as they represent the parts to be made. I am building a pin router now and going to make the patterns on the 3D printer since I have the parts designed already. I also built a cheap pyrometer to measure the heat which I think was another issue. I have learned so much and I am just getting started.

Attached are some pics... the detail was amazing on the first pic I had written "Top" on one with a sharpie, and I could not believe it was transferred to the part. The only usable casting I made was the one I made in Green sand and going to get going on making a foam casting for the throttle body.

Ted
    Anderson, SC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Ted Brown

Ted Brown Copper

FYI: The cast throttle body top part (Pic above) was the one I did in Green Sand and cleaned up. I have yet to do one in lost foam

Ted