Forged in Fire

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Jammer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Anyone happen to catch FiF this week? They tried some Bronze casting, it was pretty sad. They were trying to use the dense floral foam for a lost foam pattern. I had tried that years ago and it doesn't burn out very well. I'm sure they were just barely liquid with the Bronze as well. They were also using petrobond sand so it was too dense for the fumes to escape.
    A 71 year old man won by default, 2 knives failed in the tests and in the final, his competitor couldn't get the casting that was required. He did make a beautiful layered damascus sword with a little man cast for the handle. They called them anthropomorphic swords.
    I did like their little furnaces. Held about a liter sized crucible for the small castings.

Jason likes this.
  2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I saw them do this a few seasons ago, was this a new episode? The one I saw, I remember one guy's mold (turned up on edge) blew out through the molding sand.

One of the few episodes where I knew enough to know when to yell at the tv because they were doing it "wrong"... :D

Jeff

3. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I saw that one too. This was a new episode and they did much worse.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

EXTREMELY sad. Shitty casting aside, I didn't agree with the results for the final round. And did you hear that BS sarcastic remark from the punk with the hair? It was very quick and I'm surprised it made it through editing... If I was that old guy with the goatee, I would have dropped him right there.
    Who the hell uses floral foam for casting anyways? Now the next 50 yt videos will have clowns doing this.:rolleyes: These guys are blacksmiths, not foundrymen. I've never known an autobody guy that could turn a wrench; it's just not in their dna.

5. Tobho Mott

When did the new season start? The kids somehow lost the remote that lets us get into the PVR, so I have no idea what I've missed the past week or 2...

Jeff

6. Jason

Jason Gold

You haven't missed anything. Same old bs.

7. Tobho Mott

It's one of the few shows I watch, helps me feel like the satellite tv sub isn't a complete waste of money...

Jeff

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Floral foam shapes wonderfully! but it's dense and doesn't melt for crap! The best way for them to have used it was sand casting. Make the foam into a pattern pack the sand pull the pattern.
    I do enjoy the show.. it has the least amount of Drama of all those "Reality" shows. and you don't drown in product placement ads like some of those other build shows (GMG, and FUG I'm looking at you!!)

CBB

9. OK, I'm a blacksmith. Does that explain my poor castings?:(

I like the show, but I arrogantly feel they're not that much better than me.:rolleyes: I yell at the TV all the time when they're doing stupid things. Building a foundry furnace has taught me how to make a burner but I still have only a coal forge.

Jason likes this.
  10. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Some of haven't seen this episode yet dern it.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Ya not missing anything... The cool old guy with the badass white goatee loses to some long hair soyboy looking millennial. :rolleyes:

12. Tobho Mott

Hmmm, I guess the season airs later in Canada, I found no upcoming new episodes in the near future. :oops:

13. Tobho Mott

The season did start, but so far the only casting I've seen was some sword handles the finalists made at their home shops, and neither of them tried using lost foam casting. They both sand-cast theirs and they seemed to do an ok job. I guess I still have more bladesmiths trying to do foundry work to look forward to!

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018