Gloves for handling steel flasks/shells etc

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by theroundbug, Aug 26, 2021.

1. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Looking for some gloves I can wear that can touch a metal flask or awkwardly shaped ceramic shells for a few seconds moving from burnout to pouring area. So far I've been wearing motorcycle gloves inside heavy leather welding gloves. They work but the welding gloves only survive a few uses. Hottest the flask gets is around 1100°F.

Tongs are out, the flask already weighs about 30lb with investment and they don't fit in the burnout oven anyway.

Recommendations? I've heard of "kiln gloves" made of kevlar/fiberglass with stainless steel mesh but have never seen them.

There's not enough room in the burnout oven to add lugs or anything to hook pipes etc onto. The flask literally takes up 90% of the volume

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  2. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Silverneedle.net/molten-metals-gloves
    Everything you could want you lucky bugger.

theroundbug and dtsh like this.
  3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

theroundbug likes this.
  4. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

6. Jason

Jason Gold

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Remember that guy who used to pour the crucible with his gloves?

Wonder how his hands are doing.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

hah.. Good one. I still have that video somewhere. I thought he just wrapped kaowool and went for it?

9. rocco

rocco Silver

That's the way I remember it too.

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That was the chap that ironically was casting hands if I remember correctly.

11. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Mitts came yesterday. They will be mostly for “emergency” use. But, should be handier than using ceramic wool like I have in the past. Thanks for the tip HT1.

A9F9CBDF-B9D8-4A30-82D4-8C53A7DC3039.jpeg

Denis

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

your very welcome

Make sure your filming the first time you pick up something seriously hot with them, the fuzz catches fire, always freeked out the uninitiated . good foundry fun

V/r HT1

13. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Good to know, I put a flame to mine and lost a little confidence watching the fuzz burn. So far they have been nice removing the lid-plug from my furnace. I'll update on removing my 6 inch flask next time I do.

14. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I cant tell you haw many people would come by the foundry On my first ship, look in the door, see someone in a full proximity suit, with their mittens in flames, and run off to report the fire, the mitten fuzz will only burn a couple of times, once the loose fuzz is burnt off they don't burst into flames again, but will still allow you to hold stuff at 1000F for 20+ seconds

V/r HT1

15. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Had to move some 1300° flasks last night quickly and the gloves worked great! Thanks for the recommendation.