Got the gear... And an idea... Now to learn

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by cire Perdue, Aug 14, 2018.

1. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

Not new to casting, but new here. And trying to get back in after a long hiatus...

Got a bit of learning to do for some ideas and I'm excited to find this forum.

Thanks for the ad.

Scott

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Glad to have you.
    Jump right in here.

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Scott.
    So what's this idea you have going on??

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome Scott, so, from your handle I take it you're a lost wax guy?

Jeff

5. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

I happened on a bit of unfortunate luck Tobho... I went to an estate sale to haul some things a friend bought back to his shop (I've got the trailer and truck) and the fellow running the sale and I were chatting... I bought some blacksmith tongs and the conversation led to the fellow taking me "out back" to the shed of stuff he had not gone through.

I should not have ever opened that door... Ha!

I bought the whole investment casting setup... I'd taken a lost wax class years ago... And loved it!

@DavidF... I'm wanting to try my hand at some bronze casting with cores. I'll post some pics and thoughts in an appropriate thread- but I want to cast some skulls for my brother in law and a few gear blanks in bronze for my lathe.

In actuality DavidF's YouTube Yosemite Sam got me back into it... The estate sale just gave me the excuse- and my wife said "Go for it"...

I blame you David... Ha!

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'll take the blame this time :cool:

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome aboard! We need more folks messing with lost wax and less of those dirty guys playing in the sand box! :p
    Got a youtube channel?

8. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

Jason- Im fairly new to wax- so a LOT to learn... Im actually a petrobond and greensand guy from my past castings (with a touch of wax only)... So I have "dirty hands" to say... I like both but think Wax is where I will wind up.

Loved the fox video- and the Youtube should be coming... maybe 2019. Im centering my efforts in wax on a few projects- so Im definitely gonna be tapping the well of knowledge when it comes to the shell molds you use!

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks.. I'm still new, but I can probably make it a little easier for you. The fox is a cool piece. Fritz is talented.

10. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

HA- Jason... New means you know a lot more than me! Trust me- Im reading and taking a bunch of notes- like the extruder thread you guys were cranking out- Im interested to see what happens there- and the "shell" components are on tap for a project upcoming.

Ill see you folks in the threads! This is gonna be fun.

11. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Welcome Scott.

12. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

Thanks Rt! How many hives do you maintain? My wife and I were a part of Tidewater Beekeepers for awhile- but had to pass on the hives due to some finance issues a bit ago... We are thinking about installing a nuke or package bees next spring!

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Scott, I know it's still Africa hot outside, but if you think you will be dipping wax in shell come this fall/winter. Be sure you don't wait until then to buy it. R&R won't ship slurry once the temperatures drop. If the stuff freezes, it's game over. If you are going to run solid block investment, you can get that year round from Rio. It's now called ultravest.

14. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

That had not occurred to me... Thank you for the heads up!

I'm thinking the first project or two are just different variations of split and raised parting lines... So probably green/petrobond.

15. Tobho Mott

Got any pictures off the investment casting setup you got? Or of your previous castings? Anything like that, really. We like pictures. :D

Jeff

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Every time I see some one on YT doing lost wax in sand molds the results are shitty. Funny how fads run. :rolleyes:

17. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

Ha! Jason I was thinking standard greensand molding for a first run... Lost wax in sand? I'm not sure how that would work...

18. Jason

Jason Gold

it doesnt. well, not very well. you'll see it on YT.

19. cire Perdue

cire Perdue Copper

Tobho... I'll get pics out... Promises promises... I've started one with a pic for the fire extinguishers

20. Tobho Mott

Here's a video where the narrator claims this Indonesian foundry does lost wax in sand molds, and not just that, but that they do it as an evaporative casting process, as if they were doing lost foam casting! I dont buy it. He says he wasn't there to see the pour, but I suspect he also missed the dewaxing and burnout, and either he misunderstood an explanation somewhere along the line or else maybe the guys casting the skulls are trying to keep some part of their process secret and deliberately left out a couple of key details...

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Jimmy Cogg likes this.