Got the gear... And an idea... Now to learn

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by cire Perdue, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

That was very interesting. At 2.26 you can see them filling the waxes with some kind of a filler. I think it is genuine. It would be interesting to try this. The metal would have to be very hot.

2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I assume the filler you pointed out is the same "special sand" which I still believe to actually be some form of clay-based investment, being used as a core. It's hard to imagine anyone bothering with investment or ceramic shell casting as we know it, if lost wax could be done this quick, cheap, and easy, in a sand mold, with no dewax or burnout.

Make sure to get lots of pictures and maybe some video if you try this. Good luck, and don't forget to let us know how it went! I'm expecting a lot of scary spitting and bubbling at the sprue and a scrapped casting in the end.

But if you can pull this off, I'll eat my words and take everything between 2:08 and 2:26 as factual. That would be amazing news for anyone like me who is only holding off on trying lost wax casting due to the lack of a burnout kiln, so I hope you're right.

Jeff

3. Jason

Jason Gold

There it is. I couldn't find it. Yeah it's whackadoo that's for sure. About as wacky as lost pla in sand. I used to tell my student pilots, don't get inventive on me. We've been doing this stuff for years and know what works.:cool: