Hello From Austin Texas

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Austin-T, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Austin-T

Austin-T Lead

Yes, CMC in Sequin uses EAF-again impressive in size.

Im still working on it. Hoping to put some more research into it this weekend

Sal

2. Austin-T

Austin-T Lead

Thanks Kelley, I ma not opposed top foreign at all. I will look into this over the weekend.

Thanks
    Sal

3. I am getting a price on the following.........A 25 KW, 10k HZ Inductotherm power supply. Once I determine whether or not it is viable. I will get a price on a small matching furnace. As for Jack Rice at Texaloy. I did the complete appraisal of the foundry for him about 5 years ago. I would call up the foundry and say I am interested in their surplus equipment. Be creative.

4. Pillar AB4664-1011/MK6 Induction Melting Furnace, 10 Kw, 10,000 Hz, with Transformer Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-2.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-3.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-4.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-5.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-6.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-7.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-8.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-10.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-11.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-12.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-13.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-14.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-15.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-16.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-6-17.jpg Pillar-ab-4664-1011-mk-9.jpg

5. Austin-T

Austin-T Lead

6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's quite the chunk of kit Eugene.
    1. What is the top diameter of the crucible opening, or better yet, it's melting capacity in various metals?
    2. Is that transformer for stepping down/up the supply power or other?
    I did go to the Pillar website. Industrial and very professional equipment, but could not find the model pictures above.

Best,
    Kelly

7. Sal, I was told yes and I wouldn't doubt that for a second BUT, I will figure it out! Pillar phone number (800) 558-7733

We have the information as follows off the plate.

Model AB4664-1011/MK6
    Serial S.O.36786 ZV

The question isn't about the power supply, it is about the furnace.

8. Kelly, I will get those answers. I would think the transformer is a step up. The plate says input 230v. Pillar is a world class mfg. For many years they made the small Induction melt systems for Inductotherm. I went to their website and they only give an overview of their equipment. I would call them up (800) 558-7733 give them the mdl and s/n and let them tell me what info they have on the scope when originally sold.
    I would also get a quote on new.......send an email requesting a quote

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I looked at a similar machine at gold machinery when I picked up my investment mixing machine and was told that it was for non ferrous metals only. My understanding is that there is different operating frequencies for ferrous and non ferrous alloys. Not sure if this is correct or not since the smaller Chinese induction melters don't seem to have much trouble melting both..

10. Al2O3

From what I've gathered so far, there are different frequencies, at least for optimal performance, and moreover how deep of penetration is achieved. 1khz-10kz seems to be preferred for ferrous melting. 30khz-80kz for concentrating heating near surface of cylinders. Some metals may not lend themselves to inductive heating.

I think they rely on inductive heating of conductive crucibles rather than inductive heating of the nonferrous metals directly, and the hot crucible melt the charge. Being the crucibles are roughly cylinders, the 30-80khz inductive heating frequency tends to align ok.

Best,
    Kelly

11. There isn't any problem melting iron or steel with this power supply. The frequency is the maximum and not the minimum. The differences would be in the crucible type. Different crucibles for higher temperature for iron and steel.

12. DavidF

How would one power this up if they do not have 3ph power???
    Aside from a 3ph generator..

13. Al2O3

Maybe a good sized RPC but would have to confirm the manufactured phase/wild leg didn't pose a problem. Not trivial cost and still stuck with 240vac unless you spring for a transformer too.

Best,
    Kelly

14. DavidF

Huge one maybe... looks like a 40 hp is only good for 56 A, and is $4200.00 :confused:

15. Al2O3

Yah, and a step up transformer at that power level is expensive too, and I'm hesitant to introduce 480vac in my shop and moreover, not on a cord. Probably looking at $8k plus for high voltage/powere 3ph service either way.......that ain't happening.

If a higher power custom single phase unit isn't available, it may be more practical for me to run a parallel system with two "15kw" single phase, 240vac, power supplies and two coils on the crucible. That's circa $2k and some work. I may like a little lower frequency (than 30khz-100khz) to accommodate a longer coil length.

Industrial equipment expects industrial power service and if you don't have it.....

Best,
    Kelly

16. DavidF

Ok, you first... if it works ill copy you ;):)

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I can't think why but my gut suggests two coils running off two supplies may have issues. I know the frequency range isn't massively high but I would expect the two coils to interact. I haven't had enough tea to get my physics head on.

18. Al2O3

Unless the IGBTs are synchronized you may be right there PeeDee. Not sure how they 3ph configured units.

Best,
    Kelly

19. Not easily. Numerous types of three-phase converters are available. One of these, a static converter, takes advantage of the fact that while a three-phase motor cannot start on single-phase power, it can stay running on single-phase power once it is started. A static converter does this with the help of capacitors (devices that can store charge), which lets the static converter stand in for one of the phases, albeit in an inefficient way that is assured of decreasing the motor's effective life span. A rotary phase converter, on the other hand, acts as a sort of combination of a substitute three-phase motor and an independent generator. This device includes an idler motor, which, once it is set in motion, does not turn any moving parts in the parent machines but instead generates power so that the entire set-up can mimic a three-phase power system reasonably well. Finally, a variable frequency drive (VFD) makes use of components called inverters, which can be used to create alternating current at almost any desired frequency and replicate most of the conditions inside a standard three-phase motor.

Video of a single to 3 phase conversion I found on youtube

20. I know it's time consuming, but used is a cheaper solution. Getting to it before resellers requires going through auction item details.