Hello from Boston

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Alasdair, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Alasdair

Alasdair Copper

Hi Everyone,

My interest in building model aircraft engines led me to the art of sand casting after I messed up the machining of a crank case and decided to try casting a new one rather than just buy another.
    I built a propane furnace from an old helium gas tank and used the original crankcase as the basis of a pattern and after many hours of studying YT videos etc. on the subject I managed to get a reasonable casting using petro bond.
    91752180-CEFD-41B5-B416-8D0CEA79EA5B.jpeg
    30B50F17-55B4-4B02-A27B-017428D7E177.jpeg
    D9F2C001-1449-4E46-A0B3-24AEB98C4BF1.jpeg

F95F5D46-086C-4FAC-8E7F-30FC7035CFA2.jpeg

After completing the engine and getting it running I have started a new project, a DH Gypsy Mk 1 engine at quarter scale. The original designer and casting kit producer of the model engine has passed away, however, a foundry in Canada did a short run of crankcases for the model and I have purchased one. However, the drawings call for additional castings for some ancillary functions like oil pump, carburetor etc. and the foundry does not produce them.
    The shapes of these particular items led me to lost foam casting, and eventually, after trying to find out as much about the process as possible I came across this forum.

Best Regards,
    Alasdair.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

Welcome Alasdair. It looks like you're off to a really good start and there are lots of great guys here who are willing to help you out. Since you've mentioned lost foam, Al2O3 (aka Kelly) is our resident lost foam expert, be sure to check out his post on that topic.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021