Hello from Ireland

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Mark McCrea, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Mark McCrea

Mark McCrea Copper

Hi,
    I am in the process getting started in investment casting and sand casting, small parts for small model steam engines and gauge 1 locomotives. My main area of interest is model engineering small trains and steam engines. So I can silver solder and I have a small lathe and mill. I am an R&D engineer so I'm reasonably techie and I have access to Solidworks for drawing the models.
    I have a couple of 3d printers and I plan to print wax filament for lost wax casting. I still have to modify a printer to allow printing 145 degree wax.
    I have ordered a Paragon sc kiln and a small 'forge devil' gas forge and a Chinese electric furnace.
    I am planning to make a small vacuum table for removing air bubbles from the investment.
    I have probably bought the wrong gear but I will have to make do until gain a little hands on experience.
    I also plan to make small vacuum box for the investment flask when pouring in the molten metal.
    I am a little bit nervous about pouring molten metals so I will need to get some gloves and face protection.
    Like most people I am getting my information from Google and YouTube so I plan to go slow and test the theory.
    I would like to cast aluminum, brass and bronze. But I'm not sure where to source these metals. I maybe able to use the scrap aluminium from work. Im not sure where to get the bronze. I have read that silicone bronze is preferable, but could be difficult for me to get.
    I used to get most of my supplies for model engineering from the UK but Brexit is making things difficult, I can get the sand OK from Belfast but I need to get the investment plaster. If anybody knows of a supplier in Ireland for lost wax/ investment casting supplies, I would be delighted to hear from you.
    Also if there are any other people from Ireland who are into lost wax casting it would be great to hear from you.
    Thank you.
    Mark

Clay likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to the forum Mark.

Ummm... lol. Been there, not fun. I'll elaborate more later.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome Mark. We have a growing UK contingent. Maybe one of our members near you will weigh in.

Best,
    Kelly

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I can't help with suppliers in Ireland but if you need any 'gifts' forwarded from the UK let me know, oh and welcome, there's more combined casting knowledge here than half of the rest of the net! (myself not included!)

5. Mark McCrea

Mark McCrea Copper

Thank you for the warm welcome .
    I see Cooksons have the investment powder.
    I will keep you posted when I get started, it will be a few weeks
    as I am still waiting on some stuff.
    Mark

6. Jason

Jason Gold

YUP. Until I see concrete proof they have the kinks worked out, I'm prepared to wait it out.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Mark. It sounds like you’re doing well in the hardware department. Aluminum melting and pouring will probably be the best place to start to get a feel for your equipment and process. Scrap aluminum is all around but you’ll want to be a little discerning about it. Automotive repair shops and junkyards are good sources if you can make friends there. Transmission housings, rims, etc. As an aside, aluminum scrap with magnesium as a trace alloying element is ok, but straight -up magnesium needs to be avoided like the plague. Some trans parts as well as some tool cases are made of it. Scrap from machine shops in the form of drops or scrap castings (not swarf or chips!)might be an option for copper alloys. At least you’ll know what it is. Although material availability may be as much of an issue for them right now as it is for you.
    There are some really good sand casters on YouTube like luckygen, myfordboy, olfoundryman, and many others, but there’s a lot of dumb-dumbs too. (Shouting, giggling, and short pants are pretty good clues.)
    There’s plenty of good input to be had here and a lot of folks who will be interested in your projects. We like pictures!

Pete

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Welcome. PLA filament burns out pretty cleanly, I've heard the wax stuff isn't easy to work with.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

SOY FACE! I flat out refuse to click on any video if I see SOY FACE!