Hello from Northern Minnesota

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Uglydog, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Uglydog

Uglydog Copper

I'm a retired Paramedic and Firefighter from the MN metro relocated to northern Minnesota.
    I did manual mill and lathe work on the side.

I have several acquaintances with unused random home foundry items so they came to live here. The accumulation goes a long way to having a complete home foundry. This week I was gifted two small commercial furnaces, crucibles and several large flasks. I still need to get them unloaded (today?) and identify what is actually on the trailer, as the fork lift driver just kept piling stuff on.

Anyway... I suspect these crucibles are to large to safely lift with tongs and will need to build a jib crane or similar. Drat! Another shop project....

My first activities here will be to identify if a jib crane will do the job safely and effectively, and what that might look like. As well as if propane will fire these furnaces and if so how large of LP bottles I will need. I have much to learn on so many topics!!!

In the end my emphasis is always safety.

Daryl
    MN

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Hello from southern MN!
    Do you have some items to make in mind?

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That’s the stuff dreams are made of!

Welcome Uglydog. You’ll find this place well worth the price of admission.
    Larger equipment generally means a larger tank, but let’s see what you’ve got and we’ll see what happens.
    Pictures are encouraged!

Pete

Tops likes this.
  4. Uglydog

Uglydog Copper

Thanks,
    Projects: these could all be wood or weldments. The capacity of the new flasks and crucibles will potentially allow some of the following.....
    1) shelf to place on top of the aluminum 4x4 post at end of the fishing dock. To hold a few bass lures, complete with a recess for two beverages.
    2) several collet racks to accommodate Monoset, VN5v and BS11 collets (no more rummaging in boxes!).
    3) some sort of quasi artsy finial for the mailbox post.
    4) I'd also like to attempt some bronze or brass for eventual use as bushings. I've neither studied or done anything but aluminum.
    5) I'm curious about a thick walled coffee cup which won't break when it gets dropped on the shop floor. It might cool to fast, but could easily be bored and turned to eliminate porosity.
    6) A friend of mine printed an impeller (with draft) for the coolant pump of my surface grinder as the vintage iron casting had rusted away.
    7) I need to learn about cores first, but would like to make some A & B overarms for a VN22LU.
    8) misc knobs for wood shop vintage equipment.

I'll try to figure out how to post pics. Likely pretty self evident once I get to it. Perhaps tonight....

The neighbor has two spare 100# LP cylinders he wants gone. They were in use fall 2021.

Daryl
    MN

Tops likes this.
  5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

There are a number of folks who have made various cranes and crucible handling contrivances each suited to their situation. Here is one example that worked out well.

100kg pour

Welcome. Sounds like this forum will be a good fit for you. Looking forward to seeing what you get set up and working.

Denis

6. Uglydog

Uglydog Copper

Thanks Denis, I'll read through that thread!

Got her unloaded I've got a mill rebuild under the gantry so used an engine hoist. Would have been easier with the gantry...
    Anyway, here are some pics. The last two are of the prior foundry set up. The flasks and etc is tucked into the steel molding bench which the Rigid planer is on.
    First goal is to figure out the plumbing and if the furnaces work and what it will take to fuel them. For now it's all out of the rain.

I'll take this to a different thread.

Daryl

Attached Files:

FishbonzWV and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Wow! Looks like you're all set.

Jeff

John Gaertner and Tops like this.
  8. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Mom, can we go to Daryl's house and play?

Tobho Mott and Uglydog like this.
  9. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Jackpot!!!!
    Welcome to the forum.

10. Uglydog

Uglydog Copper

Tops, With all seriousness there is an open door here.
    In addition to the little cabin in which we live near the 30x60 heated shop, we purchased the adjacent rental property several years ago. No one could get a mortgage when she went up for sale due to condition. She really was a tear down....
    But she has now been rehabbed. New roof, furnace, hot water, paint, foundation work, etc, still have work to do. Most recently we hired a local licensed electrician to install a new panel and install arc fault/GFCI (there were alot of shared neutrals so I hired her out). At this point we could market the home as a licensed and legal lake shore AirBnB. But we like having our kids and friends stay. 4 bedrooms, two baths, and kitchen. With bunk beds and all she could sleep 13 not including couches. We always accept donations and expect that you clean up as good or better than you found it.

Last summer we did a no-charge/no-fee Community Ed Foundry Day the school picked up insurance and we did an artsy lost foam pour with 6 kids and their associated adult. I had huge help from friends who know foundry better than I do. Hoping to do more of that sort of thing. Complications have interrupted a public pour this summer. However, we will very likely do another machine tool rebuilding/scraping weekend October 2022 (note: this is not the extremely overpriced event that certain rebuilders market).

If anyone has interest in a teaching me stuff, assisting with some education, or quiet time on a little back water lake too small for walleye and speed boats then please let me know.

Daryl
    MN

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.