How do you re-purpose green sand?

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by OMM, May 30, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Is there a feed hopper? Action video please!

Best,
    Kelly

2. OMM

OMM Silver

There will definitely be some type of feed hopper, should be easy to install.

Up here we have these green bins for biodegradable waste. They come with two wheels and they might hold 12-15 gallons. They also have a flip open sealable lid. I'm hoping send sand through the drill press right into the bin. I might need a small piece of flexible tube, but I think I have a piece laying around that might be close in size.

AC313A8E-7C68-46B7-8F73-1105267B3E08.jpeg

3. That looks really good, I'm keen to see how it runs as I was thinking of building one too, but it'll have to go to the back of the queue for now. Is the some way to get lumps into the intake without jamming a stick in the works?.

4. Mine cost me $300. :D:D:D

With a magnetic B&S chuck.

5. OMM

OMM Silver

Thanks, and hopefully it works. If the spinning shaft does not reduce the lumps small enough to fall in to the beater, I might drill and tap the drive shaft straight through and add a quarter inch bolt straight through it. This will be more up in the hopper.

6. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

My grandpa ran an old aluminum foundry in Asheville for years. I remember he had a giant fan that he fluffed his sand with. Shake the mold out that evening and the next morning a guy was shoveling the sand into the fan and the pile coming out was the molding sand. Im sure they added some things to it but I never saw that..only saw the guy shoveling sand. It really stuck with me as he accidentally cut his finger off one day and we were all looking around in the sand for his finger.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Ah the golden days of our youth. I was about 9 years old and saw a guy get his gloved hand caught in the drive chain of a hay elevator. The gear cut the end of his index finger off at the knuckle and the farm dog ran off with the glove.

Billy Elmore likes this.
  8. rocco

rocco Silver

I had a nine fingered uncle that did something similar.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Billy Elmore likes this.
  9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

9-2/3 fingered men outnumbered the 10-fingered by at least 2 to 1 among the meat department employees at the grocery store where I worked as a kid.... Gotta love that bandsaw!

Billy Elmore likes this.
  10. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Damn it man! LMAO

11. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Im sure they washed the meat off a little bit LMAO

12. rocco

rocco Silver

Na, that's what ground "beef" is for, lol.

13. OMM

OMM Silver

It is funny how one project leads into another. Let's make a Vfd's simple. Let's make a three phase motor run off single phase power....... I don't have natural three phase in my home shop in North America. I do have an RPC which could be plug-and-play, but a VFD is so much cooler. But now I'm talking Spanish or French.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  14. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Nice. So since it is your dream drill press, will the Canadian be your go-to hole maker and the Delta a dedicated sand snake motor?

Jeff

15. OMM

OMM Silver

If all goes well I will be selling the Delta or taking it up to the cottage. I have a buffalo 15 inch in my basement woodworking shop. Three drill presses at one location is just too much.