How long can you leave a Pertobond mold rammed up before you cast it?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by crazybillybob, Jan 27, 2021.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

So I've heard of greensand folks leaving molds rammed up ready to pour for months before actually pouring metal into them.
    How long can you leave a petrobond mold rammed up before you have issues with it?
    I've got a bunch of patterns that need cast and no time to do it when the weather cooperates. If I can get molds rammed up while it's crap, and they'll keep. I might be able to get some parts out the door.

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I let some molds set for a month and had no ill effects.

crazybillybob likes this.
  3. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

That's great to know fish. Hopefully a nice weather (no rain/snow) weekend will be here within a month. But I can have molds ready when it comes.

4. spelter

spelter Copper

Put a piece of paper or something over the sprue. Keeps the spiders out, it could be overly exciting if a big juicy one is down inside during the pour.

dennis likes this.
  5. dennis

dennis Silver

Or, something rather larger than a spider has taken up residence... like a rodent.

"Don't be Bold - Address your mold!
    Guard it well, till it grows cold -
    Or the Sand-Man will come...."

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I find acorns in the weirdest places.

dennis likes this.
  7. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

Since my moulding bench is outside and the neighbor has multiple cats, I cover the sprue holes with rubber gaskets and then plywood large enough to cover the flasks.

Every spring when we would fire up the tractors and 4 wheelers at camp, acorns would shoot out of the tail pipes. You didn't want to be standing behind them. Damn chipmunks.

dennis likes this.