Infrared thermometer pyrometers

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Jimmy Cogg, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. I use one like that. It is highly dependent on the emissivity you select, based on the surface you are measuring. It seems I get widely varying results one reading to the next, like 700F then 1,800F. I don't use it much for that reason. It is great for colder readings like the exterior surface of the furnace.

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  3. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Thanks for that Andy. I am getting one to play around with as I also have a couple of other uses for it, other than metal melting that is. It should be interesting.

4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

do a search on how does infrared thermometer work read a few articles, not a good option at all, angel to the surface affects the reading as will smoke, big one for most of us, only reads surface

so with the Model you referenced, you must be no more then 30 inches away, and directly over the metal , and that will give you a reading of the top surface , which depending on your furnace design maybe hotter or colder then the reading you get, and of coarse you will be directly in a cloud of smoke (zinc ) in my case which will screw with the Reading... Probably not going to work well.

V/r HT1

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  5. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Thanks HT1. Appreciated. Cheers.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Can't even use them on a round copper pipe. Too inaccurate. Damn shame too. Best use I've found for mine is to drive Cocoa the stray cat nutz with it. I can run that idiot right up and over the fence.

7. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

I'm actually having great success with it for my home brewing. It is awesome. Once you get your head around the emissivity/reflection and transmission issues and the D/S ratio it is very accurate. Mind you that is only in the sub 100 degree region. Yet to try it at more extreme temps. Very handy too for cats...yes! WIN, WIN.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

If you need to be accurate measuring the temp of a pipe, it requires one of these. I dont have this exact one, but it's better than a laser.

https://www.amazon.com/Leaton-Tempe...ture+clamp&dpPl=1&dpID=41XGm14KQHL&ref=plSrch

I do HVAC work on the side, so a laser wont cut it for me. If you have a tech show up at your house screwing with your refrigerant and he shoots your copper pipe with a laser, Show the clown the door.;) I need 1degree accuracy.