Inspecting for Porosity with a Microscope

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by oldironfarmer, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Agree, I've heard of (and used) the sodium chloride + potassium chloride eutectic as a flux for aluminum, not a degasser. I don't plunge it, I sprinkle it on top and stir gently.

Who knows if that is even a good idea? I'm thinking about giving up its use and seeing how things go.

It does seem to help separate the dross from the clean metal when the crushed salt ingots are still fresh, but they don't stay fresh very long. And as far as hydrogen goes, they most likely do a lot more harm than good once they (readily) absorb a bit of water from the air.

Jeff

2. Flux, I should be able to remember that. I don't use it, but know I've seen it recommended to degas, but hot aluminum stripping oxygen out makes sense.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

How do you degas aluminum then? Isn't it some kind of welding rod that gets dunked in before pouring?

4. I don't know. I don't degas, I rely on quick melt and pour and assume captured gas will escape when the scrap melts. I guess a flux should protect the molten surface from picking up gas.

5. Tobho Mott

Argon is how the pros do it I think. Olfoundryman bubbles it through the melt for like 7 minutes or something(!)

I've used calcium hypochlorite pool shock granules bundled up in foil and plunged to the bottom of the crucible, but who knows how effective or beneficial that actually is. I can tell you it's one good way to make half of your aluminum boil out of the crucible if you plunge it too fast! Gave that up after just a couple tries.

And there are about as many people who strongly believe in washing soda as there are who will swear it's the worst thing to try. These are all people I want to believe too, so that doesn't help much.

I'm not sure how much real degassing is reasonable to actually accomplish in one's backyard.

The welding rod thing might be for copper alloys, I've read about using a tiny piece of a phosphorus copper rod for that. I might have got the name wrong...

Jeff

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. Phosphor rod. Not sure what rod that actually is though. Like do the welding shop guys know what phosphor rod is if I said that to them?

Argon bubbled in doesn't sound too hard... I have argon for welding and a regulator and needle valve. All I'd need is a hollow carbon rod and I'd be good to go. But does that actually get rid of bubbles?

7. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I'm thinking the big turbulence in your design is happening where the runner meets the blind riser. If the runner area expands out to maybe 3x berfore entering the blind riser, the speed should reduce to below critical velocity. Maybe set the blind riser on a 1/4" disk of a slightly larger diameter.

What I'm gathering so far from reading John Cambell's book is if you can see defects it means you have a problem with the pouring system, i.e. air is being entrained somewhere. The hydrogen porosity is more on a microscopic level. I wonder if Amazon has x-ray wi-fi xray devices?

The other thing I've gathered from Campbell's book is that the bifilms never go away. They are in the crucible, somewhat intact but strung out like really thin confettii, and they float up and down in the crucible depending on whether they are absorbing oxygen or hydrogen or neither. So, degasing may or may not help; it depends on the moon phase I think.

8. Tobho Mott

Mr. Puhakka says hydrogen can't cause porosity without bifilms. And also that argon degassing works somewhat because the little bubbles can help to float some of those bifilms up to the surface where they can be skimmed off. I think this was all in the videos that are still available on swdweeb's YT channel.

Jeff

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

How exactly do we know any of this is really what's going on? Bifilms?

10. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

This an area where John Cambell says more research needs to be performed.

11. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

I suppose its a religion kinda thing. Personally, I've seen things that are well explained by this theory. Miricales, you might say, or not.

12. Tobho Mott

Al Puddle likes this.
  13. Chazza

Chazza Silver

I buy a de-gasser from a supplier; no idea what the compound is but it works very well bringing the dross to the surface as well as the gas. They are designed to be plunged to the bottom of the melt.
    http://www.mathews.com.au/laboratory.htm These guys supplied the de-gassing tablets.

Years ago I was using a cast-iron plumber's pot and was told by the instructor that a steel pot was no good, because it released hydrogen into the melt. Years later I forgot his advice and made a steel pot and found out that he was correct. So I built a new furnace and bought a graphite crucible and no more gas problems for me,

Cheers Charlie

14. Are those chlorine degassing tablets?

15. Chazza

Chazza Silver

No idea, unfortunately. They came in a plain bag with no Safety Data Sheet, so I always wear a respirator whenever I use them,

Cheers Charlie

16. Made a little video of using my microscope, if there's any interest.

Mark's castings likes this.
  17. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Nicely demonstrated! Thank you. Using the DRO for measuring was an excellent idea.

D