Interesting Video on Bronze Sand Casting, Down Coping

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Good video thanks for sharing the link Dennis.

The explanation at the end of the film about the shape of the rammers as being wedge shaped, struck me as bulldust. I have only ever used a flat face rammer and never had a problem attributed to that.

Why oh why do some people take the guards off angle grinders? Safety should always come first,

Cheers Charlie

2. Mister ED

Mister ED Silver

Hmmm ... finally we have an explanation! it appears you were successful a couple too many times.:eek:

Jason and Al2O3 like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Then dont look at mine.:rolleyes:
    15934760419266054719401554544019.jpg

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Those guards are pretty obstructive, and not one of my grinders have them anymore.
    Funny story, when I was working for Dupont my team was caught not having any guards on our grinders. They said " dont you know how unsafe that is?" So I showed them my gloved hands, and pulled back the leather glove to reveal kevlar gloves on underneath.
    Safety comes in many forms. But locking myself in a padded room isn't for me..

Jason likes this.
  5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I agree, Mark. Sand is a finicky animal and one that most of us try to tame working by ourselves without the benefit of hands-on advice if others. That is one of the reasons I am enthused about going to the foundry in Port Townsend. I want to feel the sand he is using and pick his brain about some of the various solutions he has come up with. Based on his remarks in his video, I suspect he is quite generally knowledgeable and his manner suggests that he is approachable as well. Just to actually see and feel what he is doing has got to be interesting.

Denis

Denis

6. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Just remember "feel" is really generalized in foundry sand. in particular he is using olivine sand, it feels very different then silica . much more course and abrasive feeling , when all other properties are the same (GFN)
    it also has a slight chilling effect compared to Silicia ( it transferes heat faster) though no comparison to Zircon sand in this catagory .
    lastly, it has to be bound slightly different ( Been way too long for me to remember,) but I believe generally it took a Bit more Clay but less cereal, because it had better colapsability ... Again, it's been 30 years since I worked with Green sand So i'm probably forgetting more then I remember

V/r HT1

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Maybe testing compactness.
    I know where your coming from. Although, for me....sometimes they're inconvenient but I don't run one at work so I can live with the occassionally inconvenience. Mostly because I run mine in a somewhat confined space and try to keep the Sparks and dust contained and the guard really helps with that, not because I'm worried about a grinding wheel coming apart. My little board and batten barn is 100 years old and would go up in a flash. I clamp my work with one of those three legged vises and stand up a 48" tall piece of 12"HVAC duct opened wide at the seam right in front of the work. It works pretty good. Once in awhile a shower gets by though. Cutting wheels are another matter. In addition to the Sparks and dust, those things absolutely will come apart so the guard stays on.

Pete

8. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Part of the reason I look forward to checking out his sand, and by that I mean green sand, is I also use Olivine. So, his experience may be especially applicable to mine. At the very least I can see how his use differs from mine and then see if there are improvements to be made.

Denis

HT1 likes this.
  9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Wow! Seems like a lot of work.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

It is an insane amount of work... to what end?o_O

11. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I cant see what all the draft angles are but making a pattern first would probably have saved a lot of time in the end.

12. rocco

rocco Silver

The natural taper of the boat is what provides the draft angles. All of the floors taper down towards the keel, that's obvious, the ones forward of the widest point of the boat also taper toward the bow, the rest of them taper towards the stern. From the point of view of the foundry it's kind of a weird job, each floor piece is different and only one of each is required so a lot of manpower and resources are required for just a few parts, I'm thinking a lot of foundries would probably refuse that type of a job.

HT1 likes this.
  13. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

One of each would suck...I would agree most would not want the job unless they specialized in such endeavors. Im always thinking outside the box and am lazy to a point of always trying to find an easier way to do things. LOL I tend to lean toward the pattern side when possible...like wooden offsets that can be removed between halves. Still a nice video that brought back memories of loose piece molding.

14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Someone brought their money no doubt.

Jason likes this.