Kit foundry burner trouble

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by AllenHanford, Jan 10, 2023.

1. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

I'm brand-new to casting and am having difficulty getting going. I bought a Vevor propane foundry kit and my latest problem is that the gas won't burn inside the forge. It fills up the furnace and burns when it mixes with the air around it.

My setup is this kit:

https://www.vevor.com/melting-furna...-kit-graphite-crucible-casting-p_010907974888

With this tank:

https://www.instacart.com/landing?p...NGn9eGwBArny5ajI9iBQVjGT-0AQ_3XkaAhzSEALw_wcB

The (crappy) regulator that came with the kit did NOT fit the tank and I made the modification in the attached picture.

1) is the regulator which I bored and tapped to match item 3

2) is the plastic nut from a gas grill regulator

3) is the tip from a gas grill regulator. I drove out the ball & spring valve with a pin punch.

I tried increasing/decreasing the regulator pressure between 5 and 15psi and moving the air sleeve through several positions between closed and wide open. None of this made much, if any difference.

Attached Files:

2. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I like what it says in the description " rotten iron into beautiful artworks" so what do they mean by rotten iron?
    I am not sure what your problem is?

3. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

The propane isn't burning inside the pot. The pot fills up with propane and burns on the surface, like a campfire.

4. More photos of the complete furnace setup would be very handy for troubleshooting.

5. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

I have a one smaller model from a similar vendor.
    I 3D printed a small 'horn' to attach to the sliding tube so the air would draw better. Seemed like a good cross breeze would affect it otherwise.
    I light mine with a twig or splinter of wood, putting that in the furnace and lighting it on fire with a plumber's torch with the gas to the furnace OFF. Then I ease ON the gas slowly. My air is normally 'open' approx. 80%.

Pictures from the links:

AllenHanford_1.png

6. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

Well this is stupid but the mineral wool blanket was covering the inlet. I cleared it an it started up like a rocket.

Wachuko and Tobho Mott like this.
  7. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Glad it's working for you!

8. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

Thanks. Can't wait to melt some stuff

9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Easy fix....on with the show!

Best,
    Kelly

10. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

PXL_20230114_195314040.jpg guess I need to make a decent mold now :D

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  11. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Propane has a very heavy molecule and will stay low in the furnace, as opposed to natural gas which rises, to light a propane fired furnace you must drop fire into the furnace then turn on the propane. That should get the flame down to the burner.
    A problem for lighting off a new furnace is getting the gas/air mix right. The best way to get that mix is to start off with too much gas....that is to say turn up the gas, hit the blower...now the flame will blow out big so don't freak-out! Just start backing the gas down till you get a good working flame. Sometimes the flame will pop, or go boom when it goes to a working flame...don't worry that's just part of the fun