Latest experiment

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by AllenHanford, Mar 11, 2023.

1. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

Hot out of the flask PXL_20230311_191836096.jpg IMG_20230311_141812_01.jpg

Sawyer massey and Tops like this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Nice! What did you use for the patterns and core?

3. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

I made the pattern out of poplar. It was my 4th or 5th try because I went into this with the incorrect assumption that bodgy wood work was okay.

For the core I split a piece of PVC pipe on the bandsaw. Then I held the pipe together with hose clamps and packed it with petrobond and some nails.

Tops likes this.
  4. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

5. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

This is the pattern I made. Pretty lame but it got the job done. I also machined the faces of it which revealed lots of tiny inclusions. No surprise since I didn't bother with degassing, although on one end it looked like the bubbles are radiating away from the core. I'll have to use hardened sand with a vent through it next time.

Attached Files:

6. There's nothing lame about a pattern if it works... as far as porosity goes, I've had castings so porous you could blow air through them like a sponge. Even GM Australia had to vacuum impregnate their V6 aluminium engine blocks with resin to seal them, it caused problems when using propane as the fuel. A faster melt time if possible can help as well as not casting too hot, the cooler the melt the less hydrogen gas can dissolve in it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  7. AllenHanford

AllenHanford Copper

I feel like as the son of a shop teacher my woodworking should be a little slicker :D

The porosity isn't anything that would affect functionality and there's plenty I will be doing in the future to improve it. Like knowing what temperature the metal is when I pour it, or getting the proper tools instead of using a pair of tongs for everything.

I'm just really stoked that I got this all working. It's been tougher to get going than I had anticipated but it's super gratifying.

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

....and so it begins.....you're hooked :)

Enjoy the hobby.

Best,
    Kelly